Alfa Romeo Forum banner

TV repair?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  bazza 
#1 ·
Our venerable old Panasonic Plasma TV (TX-P42G10B) has just started with a noisy fan when I turned it on this evening.

It's only a low noise, but is going to be annoying.

Repairable do you think? Or time for a replacement? Funny, when I was a kid, the TV repairman seemed to be at our house every other week - but you don't really hear of them even existing these days.

Can't pretend I haven't been tempted by a 4k TV anyway in recent months. But to get one that's genuinely good seems to mean OLED, which seems to mean astonishing cost.

#9 ·
(y)
I've replaced a few fans recently. The trick is to find the right new one. If you can't then you have to find one of the correct volt/amperage and rough size, and then get creative.

If it's just the fan that's noisy it probably only needs a spot of oil. It's easy to take the back off a telly. . .
I wouldn't recommend oil. If the bearings are noisy then they're on their way out and oil could make them seize altogether.

#6 ·
Err Dan, how did you get in to my house to take a picture of the back of my telly? :unsure:

Reactions: cue2
#7 ·
Also, does dropping the power consumption from 350W to 150W by going to OLED justify spending upwards of a grand on a new TV? Approximately how long will it take to make the money back? :D

#8 ·
Also also - latest news is that when this first started happening I gave the fans a blast of canned air. Didn't seem to help at the time - but by the end of the evening the fan seems to have quietened down.

So will just keep an eye (ear) on it.

#13 ·
Does it sound believable that the fan is more noisy if the current TV picture has a lot of white in it?

#16 ·
I succumbed to temptation and bought an LG 55C9 from Costco today. The picture quality is ridiculously good, from any source.
I was angst ridden about just how bloody expensive OLED TVs are, but we get our bonuses this week and I decided if we went for non-OLED to save money I'd always be wondering how much better it could have looked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.