Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Had some "tests" = "fun" on some Business Park roads just to assess effect of ASR. All I can say is it works pretty well - at least allowing the car to turn corners normally at moderate speeds.

There is a theory in Europe that you should turn off ABS in genuine snow conditions (not ice) as the snow can build up in front of the wheel and stop you more quickly than ABS. Anyone tried it yet? Please don't follow me too closely when you do. :)

PS - without ASR it is all over the place as soon as you press that right hand pedal

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
There is a theory in Europe that you should turn off ABS in genuine snow conditions (not ice) as the snow can build up in front of the wheel and stop you more quickly than ABS.
Makes sense, but you can't turn it off. Plus, check out what Trailbraker said above.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Here is the video I was talking about. Seriously, well worth a watch!!

Stay safe:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
There is a theory in Europe that you should turn off ABS in genuine snow conditions (not ice) as the snow can build up in front of the wheel and stop you more quickly than ABS. Anyone tried it yet? Please don't follow me too closely when you do. :)
Yes, my old Audi 100 had switchable ABS, and upon testing the theory would say it was correct!

R

·
0 Posts
There's a good 5th Gear video with Tiff at the wheel of an X Type on a frozen lake test ground. It's on the tube & I've posted it on here before. The only time you should turn ASR (traction control) off is to move off in deep snow when the car has been left. The Alfa systems are excellent and very relaxed compared to some.
Got to agree with this post. I got into a car park and couldn't move again till I switched ASR off. However I do prefer with it switched off most of the time anyways, especially on roundabouts!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 04 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8 t and it's great with and without it preferably without ASR in the snow I use it once in awhile just to test to see if my wheels slip and I was sneaky wedge the road conditions but typically in the winter I use no ASR

·
Registered
294 Posts
Winter tyres - with or without studs - can help just that much.

Base is driver skill/experience. Only a very skilled driver can outperform the vehicle with functioning ESP/ABS.

Yes - stopping distance in deep snow IS shorter with locked wheels - however - again - if not experienced - don`t try it.

I got wintertyres - 20" - with no studs with my Stelvio QF. In DYNAMIC it was tricky and nervous - in STD-mode, it was sluggish. I ended up with using my 1997 SAAB Turbo - no studs - which I can drive in the sleep.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts