Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fella's, I have a noise ( sometimes) on my new 156 that sounds like this: Astra vxr turkey noise - YouTube

Now It would appear to be a dump valve from what I'm reading? Now I need to check this up but as far as I'm aware its had a lot of things tried on it already(by a reputable alfa independant) but not the dumpmvalve as I think this noise wasnt apparent at the time. I'm also getting an overboost error from the ECU.

Any Ideas of what could be going on before I stump up for a new dump valve? Also would it be worth upgrading instead of replacing? I do like the noise an after market dump valve makes:D

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
cannot view the video
your turbo could be a vnt one and they dont have wastegates/dump valves......what year is it?

if you have the noise i think you have its the compressor wheel on the compressor housing

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Jim 33, the 156 diesels don't have dump valves, they use VNT turbo's. Try googling Zafira vxr turkey noise turbo clatter and you may find the answer. It seems to be vacuum related.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, or could it be the turbo vanes sticking? And could this turbo chatter be causing my overboost error?

I will be blanking the EGR and getting some of that innotec turbo cleaner to see if that helps. Am I wasting my time and money doing this?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
the link still goes to the same page and wont run for me
vanes sticking is unlikley to make the noise but will cause boost problems
worn journal bearing letting comp wheel spin against the comp cover will make a noise, so will worn thrust bearing, you need to take the piper of the compressor housing and have a feel at the movement side to side and back and forth
your are wasting your money on a cleaner if thats your problem

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply hdseven, I'll get to that through the week.

Damn you also for giving me bad news:lol:

I just bought this car and already had to replace the inner cv joints, replace all four tyres, needs a new front wheel bearing, and failed its test on the rear bushings. To say I'm a little vexed is an understatement...

What sort of money am I looking at for a recon turbo in the UK? I sourced one here for a French car a while back for about €350.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Mate,

Did you get this resolved in the end, my GT 1.9JTD is making this noise now...

Ta

Thanks for the reply hdseven, I'll get to that through the week.

Damn you also for giving me bad news:lol:

I just bought this car and already had to replace the inner cv joints, replace all four tyres, needs a new front wheel bearing, and failed its test on the rear bushings. To say I'm a little vexed is an understatement...

What sort of money am I looking at for a recon turbo in the UK? I sourced one here for a French car a while back for about €350.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You might have split VNT hoses. £5 fix on ebay. Search the forum for the measurements and more info.

Nick

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If interested if your turbo needs a renew ill ask my friend if he can sell you a cheap one.
but good luck hope its just a hose

1 - 14 of 14 Posts