Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my quest to stangle every possible bit of power out of my 155 has taken me to the rather muddled world of TURBOS....

Reading past threads it looks like it can be done AT A COST.
:eek:
Has anyone successfully fitted a turbocharger.

autodelta do a kit but it cost 3 grand, are there any cheaper kits about...

Cheers....... :D

W

·
0 Posts
No-one has done it on here AFAIK. Hoygaard has fitted a Supercharger to his 2.0 156 and I think its AJ Carter is looking at a similar project....to be honest I'd prefer a charger to a turbo but that will just start another debate :eek:

Someone did look into fitting a turbo but the one they had was too big and the idea died.

wrinx

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:confused: So im not really sure of the differences between a supercharger and a turbo. :confused:

can u enlighten me wise one...

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
My knowledge is a bit limited, but a turbo charger makes it air pressure(boost) by a fan that is spun by the exhaust gases and sent straight to the inlet, as its relying on exhuast gas you dont get much power until higher revs, normally 2.5 - 3K revs, thats what turbo lag is :rolleyes:
I think a supercharger is more like a compresor driven by a belt from the engine, it is spinning all the time so you get less lag and it should be smoother power delivery. thats why most would opt for a super! :eek:
looking at the Q4 they seem to need a series of water/oil feeds in and out of them, space could be a problem, is the autodelta kit £3K including fitting? If you are in the UK come to NAD as there are usually a few there. :)
hope this helps :D

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Hi there.

Turbo chargers are driven by the exhaust gas. IE the work of the engine pushing the exhaust gas out of the combustion chamber is used for compressing the intake air.

Superchargers are driven by belt and pulleys of the crankshaft. IE it requires power to work.

Turboes can make very high boost pressures but they heat the intake air a fair bit, hence the need for intercoolers. Plus there's always the turbo lag, Turboes usually kick in with a small delay and rpms above 2000.
Superchargers often work from idle, if they’re of the "pump" type e.g. Eaton or Opcon. Superchargers of the "impeller" type gradually increase the boost. Rotrex (used by Autodelta and Novitec), Vortech and Powerdyne are examples of the impeller type Charger.

In short:

Turboes are good for high output, but high thermal strain on the engine, and the plumbing is a nightmare: Cooling and oil feed to the turbo + new exhaust manifold.

Superchargers of the roots type give low end torque but are lumpy and often expensive, no thermal stress but they can be a bit noisy :rolleyes:

Superchargers of the impeller type gives a steady rising boost and are often compact units easy to fit, very little thermal stress but very little improvement on low down torque.

Depending on how much horsepowers you want = Boost pressure; you might need to have forged pistons with lowered compression installed. You definitely need larger/more injectors and a remapped ECU. For turbo applications, intercoolers are a must have, but generally a good idea on all forced induction projects.

There’s a lot of work involved in making up all of the plumbing, but when it finally works, it's all worth it :D

Feel free 2 ask any questions if I left something out.

-- Hoygaard

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats brillant mate... decissions, decissons. :eek:

Im still waiting for some confirmed quotes from autodelta for both the turbo and supercharge conversions, it will be interesting to see how they compare....

M

·
0 Posts
Shug (actually his brother in law) has an 8v with a turbo and intercooler on it.
I'm gonna try and get the bits off him if he doesn't use it when he builds his "good" car from the 2 he has sitting. The turbo'd car is in a bad way bodily. Looks like it was stolen then recovered.

Hmmmmmmmm..............turbo..............................my adjustable fuel pressure regulator will be useful for that I think ;)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
marlon said:
Hmmmmmmmm..............turbo..............................my adjustable fuel pressure regulator will be useful for that I think ;)
Fiddling again mate :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :p :p

Andy try contacting Kershaw`s at York i think they do Turbo Technic Conversions and they are usually very helpful with any questions etc you have ;) :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts