Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to see if anyone has had similar issues or can point me in the right direction.

I have an 09 Mito 155 that's just hit 25K. Car has been flawless up until now since I have had it. However yesterday after work it all got a bit strange.

Left the work car park, and got stuck in grid lock traffic, worse than usual and literally not moving. From this I managed to hear that my engine tick over sounded a little louder and "clunky". I listened to this as I drove home and wondered if it was simply as the car hadn't stretched it's legs yet. So I held back in the traffic a little once it had warmed up and then gave it some beans back up to the traffic. Sure enough, this did get rid of the sound and put it back to a normal tone.

However, when I did this, I also noticed that the car had literally no power. Since then I have been playing the car a little trying to figure this out. I usually drive in D so kept it in D for all testing purposes.
At the moment the car's acceleration dynamics seem to change every time I put my foot down. Sometimes I will get absolutely nothing, next time I put my foot down it will feel normal, next time I will get nothing then all the power comes at the top end and spins my wheels up. On the drive this morning I put the bar gauge on to watch it, and although the power delivery has been more consistent today, it's certainly not how it has and should be. The turbo pressure also only seems to go up to 2 bars from full, the last 2 might kick in at the very top or never at all.

All I know is my car definitely is not as it should be!
Has anyone got any ideas?

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Its probably a faulty sensor, but it needs looking at properly. Do you have any warning lights on the dash?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its probably a faulty sensor, but it needs looking at properly. Do you have any warning lights on the dash?
Nope, no warning lights, no signs of over heating, no burning smells. Nothing.... it's like the turbo just kicks in and out when it feels like it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea..
I rang Alfa Reading earlier to discuss the warranty. I bought the car second hand from Skoda so wanted to check if it was still in warranty and applicable after sale.
They said it was still under the Alfacare extended warranty, I just needed to transfer the ownership over before they could book it in.

I completely forgot to ask the question though, would turbo relates parts be covered? I know 90% of third party warranties do not cover Turbo/Super chargers.
They also said it's an issue they had never heard of with the Mito before.... sounds ominous..

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
As long as it has been serviced as per the book then it should be covered under the 3rd year dealer warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi it sounds something very similar to what i had last year....i had put cheap petrol in just before it started happening...so i ran it really low, put some fuel cleaner in and about 1/2 tank to 3/4 tank etc and then it started to run better... maybe you need to get it checked out just incase it is a sensor off as the above wouldn't help and maybe you should have it checked out incase the turbo is about to say goodbye....you do not want turbine blades sucked through the engine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also had similar issues until I switched fuels. Didn't do the whole cleaner thing tho. Just changing fuels was good enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts