Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have a 156 2.4 jtd with 125,000, 2002 year
the turbo has been over boosting for a number of years.
last week the car finally lost power and black smoke comming out of exhaust, my freind looked at it and took actuator off and thinks turbo seized as rod is not moving. I have sourced a second hand turbo for £200 that has done 60,000 miles
Is this the right way to go?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try a drop of 3in1 oil on the actuator and pump it up and down with a large flat blade screwdriver until the vacuum won't let you do that any more. Get your mate to rev the engine so the turbo kicks in and watch the actuator to see how far it moves.
Mine wasn't opening all the way last week and that was what I did to fix it. Works fine now.:thumbs:

·
Registered
67 Posts
So is it the wastegate/actuator rod that is siezed or the rod that moves the veins in the turbo?
If you remove wastegate/actuator and that's seized free it with wd40 then I usually put abit of silicone spray grease aswell to lube it bit, really soak it well. If its the actual turbo veins inside that are siezed, so the rod on the turbo is siezed when the actuator is removed, google 'mr muscle turbo clean' Basically you spray a load of mr muscle oven cleaner into the turbo to free off the veins by slowly working the rod then take it out for a blast and it burns off all the mr muscle and crap from inside your turbo off! Had it on my girlfriends golf about 2 years ago, got quoted £1400 for a new turbo job, did all of above for no more than a tenner and a couple of hours work and its been 100% since!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would take turbo off and maualy clean the veins and check for rotor shart play while your at it as just had my turbo go due to using innotec cleaner and it seeming ok till overboost started happening again, inthe few thousand mls it cover'd with me chasing my tail changing sensors etc and doing reset every time it flashed up overboost on diag, it killed my turbo, hope yours hasnt fooked,atb. ps someone else may offer better advice just my experience.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
turbos dont have moving vanes and wastegates on the same unit, if its a vnt is as got moving vanes, and yes they can stick, best way is to take it off and get it open to clean it properly

cannot for the life in me see how cleaner will damage a turbo, the innotec stuff only goes in the exhaust side so all it can do is what its supposed to do and thats clean

second hand is ok, if no play in the shaft and it is the same one as you need

·
Registered
147 Posts
hdseven, guess my bad in wording, what i should have said is it didnt clean it enough so started sticking again within a short time and im guessing the fact it was overboosting everytime i needed to use it till i had chance to strip and inspect it put more strain on the turbo uness coincidence,( found play in shaft then) my intake was perishing on the flexi aswell but only split it when changing air filter then taped up for a few days till i got one, cars only done 80000, always changed oil reg,and let run breifly before shutting down. id always strip and clean if ever i got sticking veins i future, appols if misled.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
hdseven, guess my bad in wording, what i should have said is it didnt clean it enough so started sticking again within a short time and im guessing the fact it was overboosting everytime i needed to use it till i had chance to strip and inspect it put more strain on the turbo uness coincidence,( found play in shaft then) my intake was perishing on the flexi aswell but only split it when changing air filter then taped up for a few days till i got one, cars only done 80000, always changed oil reg,and let run breifly before shutting down. id always strip and clean if ever i got sticking veins i future, appols if misled.
no need for apologize matey :)
you hit the nail on the head as to why turbo failed.....play in the shaft
what normaly causes that is poor oil, in theory because the turbo spins on a film of oil there should be no wear as its continuously pumped around

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my friend has taken turbo off and it jammed solid and complete knackered, found a second hand turbo for £200

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad your sorted even though you had to get a turbo, i just had to get a recon, as all s/hand were too far away to check before buying, atb.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi,im getting mine (waiting for it) of slav (energizer one on ebay) good feedback etc for £330 inc post, yours would be a different model so price could vary, midland turbo offerd a rebuild for around £ 298ish+vat but would have been more down time for me probably, hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts