Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GUys please help
Alfa 156 1.9 mJet 140hp
Managed to hit the curb, and damaged the intercooler in the front left corner
Kept driving, there was no problem, only the hissing sound
I managed to do about 500kms until my new intercooler arrived
And then.. INTERCOOLER CHANGED and misery begins!!!
Turbo pressure error - System control motor failure
error has been cleared but comes back, sometimes in limp mode, sometimes normal
When it allows me there is apsolutely no problem with the car, acceleration or whatever

Now could the 500km that i drove make a dirty build up on the EGR?
Or can it be the turbo actuator, or whatever the name is?
PLease help!!!!!
The car is in apsoulutely excellent condition so there should be no other isssues
THANKS

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is the turbo sound i guess... should it be there?
The car goes perfectly fine until the safe mode switches on

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i reset the ECU, got rid of the error codes..
Drove for about 10 kms and the error reappeared, went into safe mode
sometimes when I turn the car on it goes into safe mode, sometimes it is normal, with the engine light and warning ON at all times

·
Registered
551 Posts
Worth re-checking and then checking again the condition and connection of the hoses to the intercooler.
Take the MAP sensor (not the MAF) out and clean it.
See if it's any better from there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Worth re-checking and then checking again the condition and connection of the hoses to the intercooler.
Take the MAP sensor (not the MAF) out and clean it.
See if it's any better from there.
Pretty much what he said. I just had a similar with the MAP sensor. Gave it a good clean and the car ran well for a wee bit and then limp mode again. Cleaned it again and ordered a new one. The day the new one arrived the fault went away. I fitted the new one and two days later the MCSF light went out and hasn't come back. Mt GT also goes like stink with a more responsive throttle.
I am going to clean all the intake pipe work this weekend (if the rain goes away) and make sure everything is clean.
Now the best bit - the sensor off Ebay is £120 if you buy an Alfa one and £37 if you buy the SAAB one. Same part number, same part. Take the sensor out to clean it, note the part number and search the bay of E.
Good luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guys, after some thrashing when the car was not in limp mode____ the fault went away by itself, actually while i was driving
I guess it was showing the error that was meant to be shown when the old intercooler was on...
Anyway the car is going like it should again!!!!
THANKS

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well played!
I would still be looking at cleaning out all the air intake pipework and the MAP sensor as a precaution the next time you have a Saturday free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will do so.
Thanks guys
Also is there 2 different sizes of factory intercoolers? I have searched the web and found that there is one that is 290*143*62 mm or something like that but a friend has mentioned that they also come wider. Searched everywhere for the bigger one but no go?
Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not that I know of, the 156/GT/147 1.9 all shared the same inter-cooler as far as I know.
Plenty of after-market front mounted inter-coolers that are said to/do offer better performance over original equipment, perhaps that is what your friend is thinking of.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys,
The thing is back!!!!
Driving on the freeway around 200rpm and the fault came back....Turbo prerssure
Car in limp mode
WHat I realized is that if I take of the little 3mm hoses, on the my guess on the regulator valve, (I am not sure what it is called) and put them back on the car has full power so I can drive normally.
Please let me know what the part is called
I didn't get a chance to clean the MAP or the EGR?
Does anyone have any ideas if there is anything else that might be causing this?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
the vacuum pipe goes from the turbo actuator(what you pulled it off)back to the boost solenoid(position could be close to intercooler and damged area)
so pulling the vac pipe off the vnt actuator resets the limp mode ?
you need to confirm if your car is overboosting or under boosting really.
also you want to check the condition of the vnt vanes in the turbo by starting and stopping car and watching vnt actuator and arm move
similar to this , but will suck in on starting car and come back out on stopping the car. where im actuating this with separate vac(syringe)
Vnt actuator 100ml syringe operating it - YouTube
also worth checking when at idle it is pulled in all the way to the stop screw on the turbo body, if not maybe a solenoid issue or a vac leak from hoses or sticky vanes.
if you do the same with engine running and pull the vac pipe off, does actuator go out approx. 10mm, when you refit the pipe does it pull back in approx. 10mm either direction you want nice smooth movement no jerkiness and travel in around a second or two.
a local garage should have a vac gauge they may lend you to check , just pull pipe off turbo and stick on vac gauge , should be around -600mbar vac at idle.
Vac at actuator pipe - YouTube
id suggest a cheap obd lead and free software like fes now multiscan to save some guesswork.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
ive no idea which goes where,
any chance it wasn't fully on and you have refitted it better and sealed better or a bit further on covering a split or leak.
seen loads of leaking split pipes on here replaced by silicone usually sorts em

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the help
Will check in the morning, when I get a bit more time
for the time being at least I know how to get it in full power again :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts