Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was on the dual carriageway doing about 65mph in 5th, pushed the clutch in to change to 6th and there was a loud "pop" noise from the engine bay.
Pulled over, opened the bonnet, the entire air intake pipe to the turbo had detached itself.
I pushed it back on, drive home slowly, it was fine. Ordered a new clasp.
However, now in the mornings when it's freezing cold, the turbo is completely dead. Engine won't physically go above 2k revs and no Turbo spooling sounds (This has never happened in 3 years of ownership before this issue)
For some reason, when I open the bonnet and close it again, it's all fixed... Tried with both the engine running & engine off, same result.

Any help/advice on why it's happening and how to fix it much appreciated.

*2010 MiTo Cloverleaf 1.4 tb 170 multiair

·
Registered
47 Posts
May be the waste gate is failing. This forces the engine running into emergency mode. If you open the bonnet - the ignition is off? This could reset the failiure and thus the emergency mode.

And if it's the waste gate, this could have had an effect on the air intake - poping it off the turbine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just took it to the garage as it's still happening.
The pipe coming off & the engine issue are unrelated.

Basically it's the multiair unit again.
Only had it replaced just under 2 years ago.

Bloke reckons it's got the wrong oil, but had a service in December. Called to check what oil they used & it is the correct one so...

Looks like another £1200 on another multiair unit.
Not what I need after Christmas.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Depending on the year of your MiTo, it might need either 0W30 or 5W40. There has been a lot of confusion on this. The Euro 6 MA engines use 0W30. Older engines the thicker oil.

Andy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on the year of your MiTo, it might need either 0W30 or 5W40. There has been a lot of confusion on this. The Euro 6 MA engines use 0W30. Older engines the thicker oil.

Andy
Mine is early 2010. (60 plate UK)
It has 5w40 oil in right now. Should it have the other?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
That sounds right. My recollection is the change was 2012 or 2013

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You need to check your owner's manual and/or the engine number to be sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Andy
Done a bit of research... I believe it's the other way round. 2013-current euro 6 engines need 0w30.
Mine is correct with 5w40 for 2010 model.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Done a bit of research... I believe it's the other way round. 2013-current euro 6 engines need 0w30.
I thought that's what I said?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought that's what I said?
Yep, my bad. Misread it, sorry.

Anyway, it seems to be working fine for the moment.
However, now when I release the clutch to a certain position, I get the warning saying my seatbelt isn't on...
Wouldn't have even thought those two were connected?
One problem after another -.-

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hmm - maybe moving the clutch pedal is moving some wiring involved in the sensor (either near the pedal itself, or near the seat which your leg motion is causing pressure on) - dunno where the wiring goes though!

I did have an intermittent seatbelt warning a few months back myself - but that was just as I'd put a bag of heavy photography kit on the passenger seat and going over bumps the car was thinking I'd briefly acquired a passenger who wasn't belted up (must have been borderline on the weight it detects).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the UK we have the variant on the V5 to be able to use to tell which engine version:
https://www.mitoregister.com/fileadmin/MitoRegister/Docs/HowTo_Guides_Useful_Info/MiTo_Oil_Guide_v3.pdf
Brilliant thanks, cleared it up tenfold.

Hmm - maybe moving the clutch pedal is moving some wiring involved in the sensor (either near the pedal itself, or near the seat which your leg motion is causing pressure on) - dunno where the wiring goes though!
I'll give them all a wiggle later, see what happens... Could just be loosened from when the garage took it for a drive yesterday as they'd moved the seat position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, my bad. Misread it, sorry.

Anyway, it seems to be working fine for the moment.
However, now when I release the clutch to a certain position, I get the warning saying my seatbelt isn't on...
Wouldn't have even thought those two were connected?
One problem after another -.-
Send an email to Tim at Alfisti. From your VIN he can tell you exactly which oil to use based on production date.

As for the seatbelt warning...welcome to Italian electrics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts