1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Autodelta

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sounds fun :cool: with a Q2 diff to handle the power, and top notch pads/discs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
uprated suspension too...??

·
Registered
38,298 Posts
I know Autodelta did a supercharger for the V6, but I didn't think they did a turbo due to the lack of space around the exhausts to fit one.

I might be wrong though. :thumbs:

The supercharger gave around 300bhp IIRC

·
Registered
449 Posts
Done properly - uprated brakes/suspension/transmission/strengthened engine etc - a V6 turbo upgrade would cost a bloody fortune if it could be done on the GTV. I knew of somebody who had their Corrado VR6 professionally turbo'd and it ended up costing him over £10K.

And even though the Q2 is a great bit of kit, I doubt it could sufficiently cope with the huge amount of power, let alone the standard box. I might be wrong, but with somewhere in the region of 350+bhp running through a FWD car (LSD or not) it would be lethal and ultimately impractical.

That's not to say it wouldn't be fun though! :lol:

·
Registered
38,298 Posts
There are plenty of Fiat Coupes with more than 350bhp, and the front suspension arrangement is the same.

Ok they do have a viscodrive unit, but most people get rid or weld it up when fitting a Q2 diff.

A

·
0 Posts
Well if i had a spare 6 grand to go to Autodelta mine would definately be supercharged by now..... but I dont :(

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are plenty of Fiat Coupes with more than 350bhp, and the front suspension arrangement is the same.
I know, there are lots of FWD cars with massive power output, but I personally think anything over 250bhp is a bit pointless on a FWD car. Each to their own though.

My old Coupe 20VT was around 260bhp - with standard suspension/brakes etc - and it was on the limit of what is practical in my opinion.

·
Registered
38,298 Posts
I know, there are lots of FWD cars with massive power output, but I personally think anything over 250bhp is a bit pointless on a FWD car. Each to their own though.

My old Coupe 20VT was around 260bhp - with standard suspension/brakes etc - and it was on the limit of what is practical in my opinion.

Thats what mine is running roughly, I agree it is on the limit of FWD.

Especially when pulling away from standstill in the wet. :rolleyes:

Its not too bad once rolling though, but before you know it you will be doing very naughty speeds. :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thats what mine is running roughly, I agree it is on the limit of FWD.

Especially when pulling away from standstill in the wet. :rolleyes:

Its not too bad once rolling though, but before you know it you will be doing very naughty speeds. :D
Yeah, my Coupe was great fun at times (well when it was dry! :lol:) and I used to embarrass quite a few older supercars. And at times, because of the Fiat, my GTV can feel a bit sluggish, but apart from the straights it was basically impossible to put the power down efficiently whilst cornering; I was no better off than a standard 2.0 Coupe on the curved bits...well maybe a bit but you know what I mean.

The front wheels cannot deal with steering, braking and huge power. Not effectively anyway.

I think I've posted elsewhere about my Corrado Storm: it was worked on over a long period and eventually - after many, many changes and tests and fluctuations in power - was left at 210bhp / 223 ft lb. This was deemed the optimal power/torque output by a professional racing garage and it's overall handling was masterful.

I've not since driven a FWD car (and I've driven plenty) that could come close in overall performance, not even the Civic Type R could compete.

·
Registered
38,298 Posts
Funnily enough my dad used to have a Type R civic, and I would agree it doesn't even come close to the Coupe in terms of straight line speed.

I like the Coupe though, it's not the best handling car in the world due to the power and the heavy front, but it has an excellent combination of power and fuel economy. 25mpg is normal, and I have got over 35mpg on a run.

I have toyed with swapping it for something slower but with better handling but I cannot bring myself to do it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wouldnt reccomend putting more power through the front wheels of a GTV than a decent V6 is already, ive got a 3.0 24v V6 with freshly rebuilt engine curtesy of Mr Porter at the alfa workshop, and it is a very strong engine, with a BMC CDA, and ive also got adjustable Koni's new anti roll bars, poly bushed everything and a Q2 and even with an otherwise standard engine it struggles to get all the power on the road even in the dry!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Maybe there are no aftermarket turbo's for the V6 due to Alfa doing one themselves??? I don't know, I ask. I know that there has always been the possibility to adapt the 2.0 V6 turbo to a 3.0 engine. Apart from the ECU, all it needs is a bigger combustion chamber which can be done easily with a thicker gasket or done properly by shimming down the pistons. 2.0 V6 was a second and last series 12 valve unit and can be found across the continent albeit fairly rare, in the GTV and 164.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have toyed with swapping it for something slower but with better handling but I cannot bring myself to do it. :rolleyes:
Yeah, since having the Coupe I've given up with looking at faster cars - my 20VT was hitting 60mph in around 5.5 seconds so I'd have to buy a serious machine, something capable of 0-60 in sub 5 seconds, to feel any real difference. That's why I opted for the GTV, the power isn't amazing (although the engine note is sublime) and, to be honest, the handling isn't great, but it's a nice place to be in and it does feel special to drive. But for sheer excitement the Coupe wins hands down. It is bloody good fun!
...and ive also got adjustable Koni's new anti roll bars...
I had a full set on my Corrado and they were very good. How much difference do they make to the GTV? I do sometimes find myself wincing as I approach uneven road, the GTV seems to feel too heavy for it's own suspension at times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe there are no aftermarket turbo's for the V6 due to Alfa doing one themselves??? I don't know, I ask. I know that there has always been the possibility to adapt the 2.0 V6 turbo to a 3.0 engine. Apart from the ECU, all it needs is a bigger combustion chamber which can be done easily with a thicker gasket or done properly by shimming down the pistons. 2.0 V6 was a second and last series 12 valve unit and can be found across the continent albeit fairly rare, in the GTV and 164.
fitting a thicker head gasket is not a good idea if your planning to run a turbo, all you will do is blow the gasket. shimming the pistons is a complete waste of time and i really dont think it is actually possible to do it to the extent it needs, the blocks are identical the only difference is the resess the liners sit in so just bore them out and fit a 3 lt crank, liners and pistons but then you need the heads too, or do the sensible thing and use a 3lt engine, drill into it for the oil/water feed and return for the turbo, buy new turbos and manifolds {available new from alfa and have already proven thereselfs for durabillity} i dont see the point in trying to gash an engine up to get an extra litre out of it, fair enough if it was just say .2 of a litre

1 - 20 of 26 Posts