Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, it's been cold over here, -20C. But today it's only -5 or 7.
Drove off. After 150m comes the intersection out of the area where i live, and the first acceleration to speed, 50km/h.
So I accelerate, in A mode. Not hard, just 1/3 gas or so. But I hear a sound that sounds like brakes do. I quickly realize its the turbo going "whiii".
Then it stops.
After 1 or 2 km, I notice the car is spewing white smoke. I stop and film the exhaust. There's lots of smoke. And an acrid smell, burnt.
I drive home, carefully. The car keeps spewing smoke.
Three minutes after I've parked and turned the ignition off the car is still smoking.

My turbo's gone "poof". It's water cooled and when the bearings go, water gets forced into the turbo.

This will be interesting. Follow up to follow.'

Edit: for reference, it's a QV.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds bad... not enough paraflu in the water or just a bad turbo?
How many km did you reach so far?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds bad... not enough paraflu in the water or just a bad turbo?
How many km did you reach so far?
Thanks for the emotional support :)

It's not a water/coolant issue. For one, that doesn't make the bearings in the turbo whine, secondly, the coolant is from the factory, ie -36C (or thereabouts) and the car doesn't come with a warning not to drive in colder than -18 (which normally is the next tier in terms of factory freeze point) and third the temp today is -7 at the coldest.

My guess is that the bearing couldn't cope with the cold from the previous days. Which in itself is odd and points towards a defect component to start with.
What ****es me off though is that this is the 3rd large-ish problem with the car, which is 9 months and has run for 15500 km (10000 miles)
1. Blue&me loses all functionality - replacing B&M chip
2. door locks freezed to death. Back doors will only lock and/or unlock every 3rd time or so
3. Turbo-poop.

Grrr

·
Registered
265 Posts
Vikings need moral and emotional support now? :)
Sorry, all the best for your car, you, your family and generally all mankind... :cool:
You don´t need it though, you have 3 years 100.000 km warranty so that bit is covered, i do understand that its a bit annoying to have relative many errors over a shorter time though.
Not sure it will help in any way, but had mine for 4 months, and 12.000 km and had zero errors so far, so it must be the air in Stockholm or something... ;)

·
Registered
644 Posts
From the Finnish AR forum I can say that people are doing quite fine with both Giuliettas and older Alfas such as 159 and 156 in recent temperatures of -30 to -40 C.
Faulty components and poor quality control are most likely causes of your misfortunes. I hope you have better times with the car.

·
Registered
644 Posts
From the Finnish AR forum I can say that people are doing quite fine with both Giuliettas and older Alfas such as 159 and 156 in recent temperatures of -30 to -40 C.
Faulty components and poor quality control are most likely causes of your misfortunes. I hope you have better times with the car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the garage are dragging their feet. Without going into details, because I don't actually fault the garage (they have reasons), the effect is that the car has still not gotten trailed to a garage and checked up professionally.

So I figured that this doesn't hack it. I need the car by the 24th for a road trip with the family.
I called AR Sweden and spoke to them directly. Currently, they're checking what can be done.

But the update is: no update. Which bums me out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Huh?
What reasons do they have (sorry for asking) its a fault on a Car still under warranty, why wait?
Sorry to hear this, hope it goes swift with FGA SE, they have been on the job for about 1 year , so they must be getting there by now.
Othervise i know the best garage in Copenhagen, its just 680 km each way ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AR have arranged for a local-ish garage to take the car in, and called back to verify all was OK.
But my own garage floor is covered with a mix of water, oil and formerly snow. And there's oil hanging under the car. Someone's going to have a big bill to pay…

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, yeah. Now, I didn't check that, but I know the garage from before. It's a good one. However, that's not really my concern. So long AR points me at a garage, it's their call.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Still a better sight than a Corolla, Passat, Octavia, Legacy all together on their best days. :cool:
Warranty will take care of it and you'll be driving with a smile on your face soon enough. Chin up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Me, four weeks ago, while booking a service for the car: "... and make sure you swap the Bluetooth unit in the car"
Garage: "Yup, we've got the part number. That's gonna be done."
-----
Today, on the phone with the garage after they had the car for 2 weeks for fixing it. On the list, three items, all under warranty: new turbo; swap of broken back door lock; Bluetooth swap.
Me: "so, what's been done to the car?"
Them: "turbo and doors of course"
Me: "and the Bluetooth?"
Them: "yeah, we're looking into that now. Did you say you needed to get it swapped? Ok. We need to order that part. It'll be a few days"
Me: "and what happened to the fact I mentioned it four weeks ago?"
Them: "oh yeah, that's right. You did, didn't you? Well, no. I can get it installed Monday or Tuesday"
Me: "yeah, but I told you four weeks ago since we are going on a skiing trip Sunday and we can't use the radio or hands free. How's your solution going to help me now?"
*sic*

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting the b&m module replaced. The model I have is a few generations old already, and is riddled with errors and problems.
I still think b&m is the worst investment in this car. I hope I'm proven wrong after the update.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts