Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Turbo death and rebuilding

937 23
So posted on the 19th my turbo died. Shaft buckled. Suspicion is oil starvation not cooling it properly prior to engine shut down even after idling when arriving at destination. It still span but was eliptical.

Finally finished stripping and cleaning today. Had to literally strip the whole intercooler, hoses, turbo hoses whole front of car off. So many screws and bolts to re -nstall.

We discovered a lovely rounded sump plug took hours to fix, silicone blocking oil feed pipes and generally silicone everywhere, set about scotchbriting all over.
Oil drained though now though, done a coolant flush and reservoir replacement.
All hoses cleaned out with brake cleaner, including intercooler and left to evaporate so now oil free.

Air filter is out too can't decide what to do with that whether to swap for induction.

If I had labour costs I'd be into the 4 figure sun's now and haven't even started putting things back on....

Hopefully start rebuilding tomorrow. Just some pictures of my pain.

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Toy Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Carmine Stuffed toy

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Machine Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah done that. Thanks. Here is the rounded sump nut. Had to literally whack a 12mm socket on it. Broke my bluepoint ratchet trying to get the bloody thing off. Off now and replacement ready to go in.

Hardest thing is getting those replacement gaskets took 5 days so far and still not got them. But on their way.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wood Grey

· Registered
Brera 1750TBi (2010)
566 Posts
Yep pointless plastic gauze filter in the banjo, drill it out and be done with it.
Rather than risking to suck those shavings into turbo as well as reducing filtering of the oil going to the turbo...

a) replace the entire pipe with newer design which includes the bonjo bolt. It's around 60EUR so not that expensive.
b) change your oil every 10k km.
c) Use good oil compliant with FIAT 9.55535-GH2
(Basically MOTUL X-CLEAN 5w40 or Selenia Quadrifoglio)

· Registered
5,057 Posts
Why would you get any shavings going in to turbo? Drilled out off the car and cleaned out before fitting.
If the oil needed extra filtering before going in to turbo all manufacturers would use them but they don’t, modern oils and decent filters changed regular are all that’s needed

· Registered
5,057 Posts
That is crazy change intervals but they still don’t use a crap plastic gauze in the banjo to mitigate and debris. The oil might degrade in that time but the filter still filters just fine.
Each to their own though I personally wouldn’t run the gauze banjo

· Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
10,726 Posts
Wonder if my 159 has one?.....2.0 JTDm....I guess after 170,000 miles, if it was going to be an issue it might have shown up by now so I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it!

· Registered
Brera 1750TBi (2010)
566 Posts
Wonder if my 159 has one?.....2.0 JTDm....I guess after 170,000 miles, if it was going to be an issue it might have shown up by now so I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it!
I replaced mine on TBi at 150 000km at which point before it I was somewhat uncomfortable even driving the car knowing that this is the point where turbos often fail on these engines.

However as far as I know bonjo bolt is a much more prominent issue for TBi specifically than for JTD or JTDm. They didn't have to create entire revised part for them did they. ;)

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First start and test tonight a late finish. I'm having a beer so that sorta tells you how it went. 🥲

Manifold cover to go on tomorrow and all the lower tray work.l
Oil and filter change. I'm using Fuchs GT1 Flex 3 with XTL 5w-40 from LRT Lubricants. Twice.

I had new oil feed pipe but shortcuts have been made silicone instead of gaskets. I have literally stripped the turbo (refurbed by Turbo Force NW LTD)/intercooler cleaned/hoses new jubilee clips new nuts & bolts brand new gaskets everything cleaned to like new using combination of washing up liquid, 80% alcohol wipes, scotch brite and brake cleaner. Sump was rounded replaced with magnetic plug, coolant not a cheap brand but decent standard.

This has literally been a welcome to Alfa Romeo owners club induction. Learnt so much about the car over past 2 weeks. It's been an absolute ******* (two days trying to not having to purchase a new sump) at times but it does have one of the easiest bumpers to remove that I've ever come across.

I will post links at a later date for everything I ordered in case this happens to anyone.

It was so good to drive her again tonight. 😍

1 - 20 of 24 Posts