Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
If any of you have made a turbo conversion on the ts engines then what is you setups? What parts have you used an soo on.
Looking for some ideas to my own turbo project :)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
A few people have them. Check out Gerties posts Or Turbo nutters.
There is nothing really off the shelf for Alfa's. However you can build a bespoke kit and the TS does take to forced induction well.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I have considered it myself but not not gone beyond that. Presume you're looking at a low pressure conversion, in which case I suggest you look at a 1.9jtd. I know my 16v jtdm engine uses the same exhaust manifold gasket as the twin spark which means the stud pattern and exhaust ports will be the same.

So exhaust manifold, turbo, and downpipes - 1.9jtd 16v (possibly 8v too) should bolt straight on with little or no modification.

A lot of the control gubbins could be harvested from the jtd too.

Not sure what you'd do for a high pressure oil feed to the turbo but the return feed should be easy enough to sort.

The control system for the VNT turbo may be difficult though. Perhaps you could set it at a particular position and use other means to control boost pressure.

Intercooler and pipes to the inlet manifold's general location could also be taken from the jtd too. As for the manifold itself, I think you'd have to use an alloy from from a cf1 155 or 145, as I doubt the plastic one would survive long.

Engine managment will have to be bespoke and getting that to talk to the canbus system on a 147 will be troublesome. A 156 would be easier to sort.

If you want to go beyond that the search for;

Alfadublin

Here and on

forum.alfa156.net/forum

But what he did and achieved was daft imo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have been in contact with Gertie and he has given me alot of tips and tricks. i'm thinking of mounting the 16v jtd manifold and find a turbo but wich one, i dont know yet. on ebay they have universal oil filter sandwich you can mount onto the oilfilter mounting then i just need the hoses and stuff to the turbo and a drain to the sump.
i havn't got much far than this yet haha. :-D

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
There are taps by the oil filter you can take off for the oil feed.
The TS block / JTD block was made with the intention of being turbo'd.

It's quite a versatile block.

Unfortunatly I don't know enough about turbo setup's but I'm very handy with spanners.
I personally don't think its that hard but when there's nice V6 engines out there it does make you wonder about the cost.

Shame really as there are so many other makes of car's with bolt on parts you can buy (But even then they are bloody pricey).

Good luck you'll get lots of info here from other members.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
There was a TS Turbo version of older models .. iirc 75 had this option .. but I don't think they made it to UK and may have been carbed engines.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Making any normal aspirated car to become forced induction is pretty straight forward I've just finished doing my accord type r most parts was made from scratch.. The main issue is the ecu and mapping the rest is just make and bolts on

Attachments

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
There was a TS Turbo version of older models .. iirc 75 had this option .. but I don't think they made it to UK and may have been carbed engines.
There was never an OEM TS Turbo.
75 1.8 Turbo was 8v single spark with injection. The old wet liner Aluminium block engine.
A couple of different versions with slightly different capacities, but all around 1.8 and single spark.
164 Turbo used the 4-cylinder Fiat Croma 2.0 Turbo (also 8v single spark, but Iron block) and also the 12v 2.0V6 Turbo.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Is it possible to fit a blow off on The TS when its fitted with a MAF sensor?
You'd run a recirculating type, not a vent to atmosphere type.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Explain why..? Bit off? What rude..? False info?
"off" as in wrong info.

It fits between the turbo and throttle-body and a recirc type would feed back in before the turbo.
All on the compressor (cold) side of the turbo).

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I was always in the theory of

Air Filter > Throttle Body > MAF >(Recirculation) > Turbo > Intercooler > Engine

Might be way off but that was my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts