Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this might turn into a bit of a long post, sorry.

Just over a year ago I noticed a tiny oil leak. Had it checked by a garage who said new turbo needed. I did continue to drive the car on and off but the situation slowly deteriorated to the point where the noise was silly (the wind leak type noise), all the turbo pressure dropped (it was originally at the bottom end of the rev range) and fuel economy went off a cliff.
Now I don't trust the garage I went to who said about a new turbo, even through I used then for years, partly because of the price they quoted and partly because of what they said about my other car.
I have started to take the Alfa apart on the drive (mot ran out so no issue with that) and found a split in the bottom hose. I do not know if this is the issue, or a issue. Do you know if a split will cause a complete loss of pressure, the oil leak (I've tried to take photos) and complete lack of fuel economy?
I can't see any oil around the turbo, apart from on the oil return line, but this is only a little and only part way down the line, so I don't think oil is coming from the turbo and leaking down.
I have already got hoses from autolusso, top, bottom and the feed from the air box (I figured I might as well go all the way if changing the turbo), but don't know if this will fix the problem. I know I could put things back together but having the car sitting around has buggered up the battery, so I would prefer to buy a new one when I know their is a good chance the issue is fixed.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
To check the turbo take the pressure hose off ( the one above the silicone one ) and put your finger in. You should have no movement on the fins.
Do this with the ENGINE OFF and NOT RUNNING .

One way too check it.

From what I see its like mine and my turbo was gone, I have just replaced it last month, at the cost of £300 including a new feed pipe, and gaskets. I already had a new filter and oil

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Common for those lower pipes to split, so yes it could be the cause. They all leak a bit of oil though, but thats not a problem ...only if the pipe is split.

Split pipe gives a siren like whistle and no power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks. So could be either. I think I'll get a new battery and put on the new hoses (as I know the bottom one has a split in it). Hopefully that will do it. Just need to wait till pay day next week to get the battery first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.