Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 model 20v 156SW Jtdm had a replacement turbo just before I bought it from a stealership here in France. Cambelt and bearings replaced at the same time. The car has run pretty reliably for three years now, but now I've noticed some loss of power - feels like the turbo isn't kicking in as before. Fuel economy seems unaffected.

Second point, which I suspect is related: I see some oil deposits on the top of the battery.

So, does this sound a familiar symptom of something dire(i.e. expensive)...?
I'd supply more info but I've been away in the Alps (working) with the car for the past ten days, so haven't been able to get my sleeves rolled up to prod around :0(

Your thoughts received with much gratitude!

Roger

L

·
0 Posts
is there any extra black smoke?

the long pipe from the intercooler could be punctured, easy to check, remove the cover at the wing [ 2 screws ] & 2 jubilee clips [ 7mm headed screw ]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, more black smoke - assumed it was just build-up due to lazy running, but the usual 'run it at 3500rpm for a few minutes' treatment recommended by the dealer didn't clear things. Neither did Plan B: injector cleaner additive. It really hit home, though, when I began to do long runs up hills - had to feather-foot it to avoid attracting unwanted attention.
I'll check the tube, although the oily deposit on the battery top suggests something higher up(?). There's no audible whine or other dodgy sounds from the engine or turbo.
Hmmm........

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, more black smoke - assumed it was just build-up due to lazy running, but the usual 'run it at 3500rpm for a few minutes' treatment recommended by the dealer didn't clear things. Neither did Plan B: injector cleaner additive. It really hit home, though, when I began to do long runs up hills - had to feather-foot it to avoid attracting unwanted attention.
I'll check the tube, although the oily deposit on the battery top suggests something higher up(?). There's no audible whine or other dodgy sounds from the engine or turbo.
Hmmm........

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
is there any extra black smoke?

the long pipe from the intercooler could be punctured, easy to check, remove the cover at the wing [ 2 screws ] & 2 jubilee clips [ 7mm headed screw ]
+1 :thumbs: another thing is small bore hoses from turbo to boost controller

·
Registered
214 Posts
do Egr valves mess up on these ? ive blocked mine off, but doing that gives out more black smoke :/
are there any flat spots. or is lag and then power through the revs, worth checking your MAF too, and any other sensors which could do with a checking over.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
When my top pipe split it dumped oil down the side of the battery by the relays, car still ran OK with no warnings, smoked a bit but it always did. Sounds like the same thing has happened.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the insight

Back safely to base now - I'll check all the points suggested, and see what I find. Doesn't 'sound' like terminal turbo death, which is encouraging.

Thanks again, guys!

Roger

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'll go with a split upper turbo pipe, I've had 2 JTD's and both suffered this. They both split at the back of the pipe, so had to have a good look round it with a torch.
I got a new uprated silicone hose from ebay for £69, the difference is amazing.

Good luck,

L

·
0 Posts
I'll go with a split upper turbo pipe, I've had 2 JTD's and both suffered this. They both split at the back of the pipe, so had to have a good look round it with a torch.
I got a new uprated silicone hose from ebay for £69, the difference is amazing.

Good luck,
do you have a link for the upgraded pipes?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Back safely to base now - I'll check all the points suggested, and see what I find. Doesn't 'sound' like terminal turbo death, which is encouraging.

Thanks again, guys!

Roger
people worry too much about problem been turbos........all u have to do is not neglect your oil and your turbo will out last the car

the only other problem with them is that short journeys coke them up and the vanes can stick on the garret vg turbos

what you describe is a perfectly normal situation for a split in the hose...as allready been said......or loose hose clip

Gary

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
it will dave....as part of pressure wont be used to push out the pipe, so a little more will be forced into the engine.....if u hold a old hose you will feel it expand and contract as the engine is revved..this is what splits them over time......the best pipes u can get are solid .......i recall somone on here making them at one time?? id have liked some for my motor

on our high horsepower engines the air is plumbed in with solid pipes to overcome the expansion and contraction and loss of horsepower it causes

Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts