Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 147 jtdm 16 valve has been stood for a while. I don't remember any faults before but since I've started using it again its developed a hesitation. I seems to hold back and then suddenly take off. I'm an ex mechanic but very rusty - I'm guessing at a turbo actuator fault. I had the same with a BMW 120d a while ago where the operating rod had partially rusted up, although that was an electronically operated actuator. Still, a quick clean and some WD40 sorted it. Thoughts anyone?

I must admit that I've never even looked at the turbo on my car :blabla: how easy is access?

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
With the undertray off the turbo is quite accessible, I've known the pivot point where the actuator connects to the vnt mechanism to stick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the undertray off the turbo is quite accessible, I've known the pivot point where the actuator connects to the vnt mechanism to stick.
Thanks for that, I'll check all points - when I come across this on other cars, its been the actual rod that's rusted up. One thing I find strange is that on the BMW I had a similar problem with, as soon as the actuator stuck, it threw up an EML and went into limp mode. Same on a Golf a few years ago. No EML on the 147.

At first I thought that was because the BMW has an electrically operated actuator but then I remembered Golf doesn't.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Halftone had sticky vanes in his turbo after his 147 had been laid up following a cambelt break and resulting top-end rebuild.. I think the actuator itself was OK, but when he pulled the turbo off and removed the exhaust housing there was some light corrosion on the VNT mechanism itself inside the snail-shell that was just enough to cause it to stuck and catch... Sorted it with some emery paper I believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts