Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I did a Turbo conversion on my 145 2.0 QV 2000 model... Everything looked good, untill she was put on the dyno for tuning. # 4 big end Pinched and Damaged the Crank. 6Thou was taken off the crank. Seeing that its a Steel crank, Im not worried about the crank. That could be fixed.

I need to drop the compression to about 8:5:1. This could be done with Shorted Conrods. For this I will need the Specs of the STD conrods. Do someone have the specs of these conrods?

Some pics here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/194167-future-mods-to-your-car-4.html

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Only Specs I have is

Gugin pin 20mm
Bigend 50.8
Small end 20.12 mm

Piston deck hight is 31.3mm

All I need to know now what the lenth is of the conrod (Centre of the bigend to the centre of the small end). This way i can matchup a Shorter and Stronger conrod. This will also lower the compression.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I can messure it..... BUT....it will only be to the nearest mm....i cant go to .**

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im bit stuck here... My Mechanic switched the CAM blocks around, now we dont now witch one goes where..... and the markings on the caps does not make any sence...

Does anyone have a pic of the sequence of the caps that keep the cams in the head.....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Unfortunately if you didn't mark the location of each cam cap before you took them off there is now no way of knowing where they should go. The head is machined with the caps fitted which is why each one really needs to go back in the same place that it was originally fitted.

Not much you can do now except just put the caps back anywhere they will fit. Worst case scenario is that if there is too much play (or friction) in one or more of the cam journal bearings you will just end up needing to get another head and/or cams.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the caps have numbers

1, 3, 4, 5 and 7

10, 12, 14, and 16

Do Alfa fit then is a Specific sequence according to the numbers or not?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I tried having a look last night in the shed as i remember doing a cardboard template of where each number goes.....sadly it looks like i binned it. What you need to find, is somebody with their rocker cover off at the moment and get them to jot down the sequence.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Unfortunately the numbers mean nothing. Probably just casting identifiers of some type. This is the numbered sequence on mine from left to right:-

Inlet cam caps -> 9, 4, 7, 13, 16
Exhaust cam caps -> 6, 11, 15, 12

Mine also have centre punch markings on to identify which position the caps go in which were put on the first time they came off so I know the order they are in is correct.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys... I had to pay around and do a lot of measuring to figure this out, but in the end I got it right.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Thats good to hear fella. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dropped off the Sub Assembly en the head at the Dyno shop.... Hopefully they will be able to refit the engine this week. I told them to run the engin in ons the Dyno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts