Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions: Q1 What do you guys think (in terms of the resulting car) to adding a turbo to my 1.8 mpi. There is a dbilas kit for the engine in its Astra/Zafira host, the Dbilas website says that the kit for Z18XER engine gives 183kw / 250hp. It will cost me approx £5k fitted, im meeting the UK distributor/fitter next Saturday to see if they can do it/whether will be compatible on the Alfa (he says there are even different inlets but the same base engine within the different vauxhall models that utilise this engine so not straight forward)

Q2 (dont boot me to tuning) what about the economic sense of this, im thinking it will save me in the long term as i will be satisifed with this car for longer because of its performance and uniqueness, it only cost me £17k new with leather interior, 18 wheels etc so total £22k for a car approaching 3.2 accelerating performance?

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
An engine change to a V6 would be a complete nightmare to do.. If there's a turbo kit out there then it would definitely be the way to go.

Oh and Stevie, you should really get the quad system if you're gonna turbo it :cool:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pud, you mean quad exhaust?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. But do you have warranty concerns as it will probably become invalid on the engine front...?
anecdotal evidence says ARUK honours anything you havent touched, so hopefully this mod wouldnt ruin my whole warranty, but i have the odd twinge of doubt, but then i think of 250bhp in my alfa, and that doubt goes away again :)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Hey mate, I think the turbo route is genius - you'd get a fast light and relatively efficient car with little weight increase over the front axle to spoil handling. As I'm planning on keeping my Brera long term, (5-8 years total), I'm seriously thinking about putting a turbo on when/just before my warranty expires. You've got nothing to loose when your warranty has expired!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
How will it work with the NOS:confused:

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Pud, you mean quad exhaust?
Yeah, you'd need a new manifold anyway if you are turboing it, so then at the same time you may as well get a whole new system made up.. You'll definitely want a wider bore exhaust, maybe go for a 3" straight through system with, with a bolt-on bolt-off cat converter for MOT times. It won't be too loud as the turbo smooths out the airflow through the exhaust system. Kinda why diesels have quiet exhausts..

How will it work with the NOS:confused:
I think he changed his mind on the NOS. If I had the money I'd be straight there for NOS, all it is is forcing extra air into the engine just like a turbo or supercharger..

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh part of the standard kit is a new exhaust, but obviously wouldnt fit the alfa, i already have a 'sports' exhaust dont know if that could be kept or not.....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Who needs all that theory? :)
Remember: "il cuore ha sempre ragione", so you should follow what your heart tells you.
Go for it and tell us how it goes :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually i think it might beat a 3.2? considering the weight difference? Im going this Saturday morning, i will let you know what the verdict is (possible/not possible)...

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
actually i think it might beat a 3.2? considering the weight difference? Im going this Saturday morning, i will let you know what the verdict is (possible/not possible)...
And the appalling transmission losses the Q4 gives it mean once up and running you will easy pull away from a 3.2. The 4WD might give them an advantage in first and second gear but in third you're gonna sail past.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts