Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys has anyone on here used a Tunit Box to remap there 1.9jtdm. i was speeking to an installer and it is completly removable and back to your standard cars settings if you unplug it .

he was telling me that 180hp is available on setting 6-7 with improved economy and no. 9 is mad power.

any thoughts

matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have found tuning boxes work well and have used them on a few different makes of diesel, but I have found once you go past the standard or mid settings it can produce quite a bit of smoke

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have used tuning boxes on diesels in the past. They seem to work and I didn't get severe smoke problems or DPF issues, although most of my runs were quite lengthy motorway or A road hauls. I think the limit on a tuning box on 1.9JTD would be around 180bhp to be honest, although some claim up to 200bhp.
A remap is going to be better but without the benefit of being able to remove it when you let your wife/girlfriend borrow the car for the weekend :)

And naturally, as with all performance modifications you have to inform your insurance company!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
had a drake tuning box on the GT for about 4 months now ...its still on and going fine
I have it on setting 5 out of 10 ...i've not tried it above 6!
It gives a modest increase in power and represents good value for the price. i did a write up on it a while back.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have one which I have on the default setting (about 180bhp). It's been fine for around 9 months now, doesn't smoke and lots more punch esp. in the higher gears. Slight improvement on mpg too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is being fitted in 2 weeks, they have said it will do 180 bhp and and 242Lb/ft Torque so it should be better on pick up and he has said on fuel too( yet to see they one) . My friend (also the supplier - fitter) has just fitted one to his wife's Nissan Juke and it is has gone from being a bit of a slug to driving a Juke rocket!!!! and 5-6mpg better so it can't be bad. he has it set on No. 7 so god knows what 8 & 9 are like. i will report back in a bit on what it is like on the TI

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Mine is being fitted in 2 weeks, they have said it will do 180 bhp and and 242Lb/ft Torque so it should be better on pick up and he has said on fuel too( yet to see they one) . My friend (also the supplier - fitter) has just fitted one to his wife's Nissan Juke and it is has gone from being a bit of a slug to driving a Juke rocket!!!! and 5-6mpg better so it can't be bad. he has it set on No. 7 so god knows what 8 & 9 are like. i will report back in a bit on what it is like on the TI
recommend that you don't just set it on a high level from the start!
begin trying it on 1 or 2 and increase slowly up to a setting that doesn't produce smoke and doesn't throw up an ecu light.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tunit is fitted, currently set from the supplier on no.5 and what a differance it picks up more cleanly with less turbo lag, seems to get on the turbo smoother. previously i was always changing down to 2nd for roundabouts around town as 3rd felt lurchy on acellerating away, now 3rd feels smoother,Iwonder what the MPG will be like, just drove in to london today and averaged 41.7mpg at rush hour. So far so good may try on 6 -7 at the weekend just to see if it makes a lot of differance.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Be awarenthatba lotbofbthese boxes simply increase the injectors duration by intercepting the pulses and issuing longer ones and thus inject more fuel than the ECU asked for.

2 issues with this...

1. Your fuel computer no longer works as it works on the intended intercepted duration, not the
one y delivered, so you will see a bogus mpg increase.
2. Unless the box is really clever, it won't recognise regenerations and will chronically flood thenDPF.

Also it higher settings it will clog the DPF more quickly as more unburnt fuel is passed.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Tunit is fitted, currently set from the supplier on no.5 and what a differance it picks up more cleanly with less turbo lag, seems to get on the turbo smoother. previously i was always changing down to 2nd for roundabouts around town as 3rd felt lurchy on acellerating away, now 3rd feels smoother,Iwonder what the MPG will be like, just drove in to london today and averaged 41.7mpg at rush hour. So far so good may try on 6 -7 at the weekend just to see if it makes a lot of differance.
those tunit boxes are pricey ...their website says nearly £500! ...not sure i'd pay that. They don't look like the type that fits to each injector either -although i could be wrong - which helps to give a more sophisticated timing on the open/close cycle, apparently.

good point about dpf/regen etc ....although not an issue on GT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts