Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've read all there is to read about chips/exhausts and air filters on this forum.
I get the impression that if you want to do it right, start with tyres, suspension, roll-bars etc. If you want a "quick cheap fix" go for a chip and an exhaust system.

But I'm reading that superchips (which ARE available in Ireland) give inconsistent results from car to car and that the programmable chips are by far the best.

Also, I couldn't be bothered (yet) going to England or the Netherlands to get a job done. I dont want the power that badly.

Did any of the Irish based 155 owners have programmable chips installed in their cars in Ireland and whereabouts did they have it done ?

The only crowd I'm aware of that do it are McNamara's in Dublin City and, as I said, they only stock Superchips, which I am now going to avoid thanks to the advice on here :) .

Also, do any of the Irish based Alfa owners know of a good boy-toy shop for spoilers etc for the 155 ?

Edit: Sorry, this should be in the modifications forum

W

·
0 Posts
Hi B

Try the Alfaowner shop for 155 styling and tuning products. They are very reasonably priced and highly recommended by forum users :)

I'll have that backhander now please :D

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Hello Bealzbob,
Regarding chips there is a company in Enfield who supply unichips they also have a rolling road, and will remap the ecu to suit the chip.
I wouldn't recommend Mc Namaras. As regards your other posting I would change the variator now, it would be cheaper to do it now while getting belt done rather than take the chance on it going in a few months time and having to undo everything again, which would be double the labour, variator costs about €160.00. I work in an Alfa garage and have seen them go at anything from 35k to 70k. Spurious spoilers can be bought in most good accessory shops I got one in Artane Autos exactly the same as Alfa one. Have you got new car yet /love to see it, can confirm TI is an excellent garage, do not use Auto Maintenance of Brunswick St on peril of your life.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello fasud55 & Bealzbob,

I must of got my addresses mixed up for TI Autos's
there are on Cowper street just off the North Circular road between Aughrim St and Prusia St.
Never came across the other crowd so I cann't comment. The worst crowd I ever dealt with for servicing was Alasta Autos. :rolleyes: Just got caught the once - £145 for an oil and filter change back in 1998 - Later Stan, much later. :mad:
As for the tunning end I also had dealings with "Westward Engineering" in Enfield, bought a K&N 57i kit off them - don't be temped, good sound - bad fit on 8v's anyway. The lads out there were amased to find out that my mates 146 1.4 had 106BHP standard, thses usually do golfs etc. Maybe not the best for Alfa work????

Fasud55 interested in Dublin meet as per sententel post in meetings??
PS Can you say which garage?? Is that you Alan??

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've decided not to get the variator done. If it goes it goes (and does no damage and doesn't need to be fixed) and if it doesn't then well and good.

My Dad knows a guy who does timing belts and tensioners for a living who has agreed to do it for €200 (that includes parts !!). And my Dad would trust him down to the ground (this guy does the belts on practically every taxi in Dublin).

Never heard of the crowd in Enfield but I will investigate thanx :) .

My Alfa has an "Alasta Autos" sticker on the rear-windscreen :) so they've obviously had their paws on it at some stage :D

fasud, I got the car this morning. The rev counter has stopped since I got it (in 40 miles of driving !!!) but is seemingly a very common problem with '97 155's so that's OK.

Mine's a 16V so maybe the K&N fits better ????

F

·
0 Posts
Hi mr guil,yes its alan how r u .Im very interested in meet.Garage is ambrose glass in kiltiernan 17 years alfa dealer. Have to say i find k+n very good,engine seems a lot smoother.

Alan
Keep her clean

S

·
0 Posts
hello gents,
glad to see you up on the forum alan saw your car parked in sligo few months back at night but didn't find you in any of the pubs there.
Alasta motors have a bit of a bad rep or so I,ve heard and they are going away from Alfas.I dont think there is a K&N for the 16v but I got a BMC one from Alfaowners car and they sound awesome.
As for the Rev counter :mad: :mad: :mad:
Go for 16" or 17" wheels if you can and lower the car it looks right I put 15" on mine and it was a mistake
joe

P

·
0 Posts
I got caught by Stanley in Alasta, on a Alfa 33 1.7 16V, clutch and Synchro on 2nd and 3rd for, estimate £500, actual £1050, said he wasn't aware of the prices of the parts!!! Didn't pay in full and never went back, avoid him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts