Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been prompted to make this post because I really need some help finding the best/safest way to increase the performance of my high mileage GT.

I had a brief conversation with Ned (at least I think it was Ned!) from Autolusso about getting a remap done, and whilst not directly saying 'don't do it' he was less than enthusiastic about the idea of remapping a JTD with 125k on the clock - incidentally, I'm grateful for his honesty, he could've easily said do it and pocketed the money.

So, I have a custom exhaust (DPF back) due to be fitted in May, but other than this and the remap which isn't a safe option, I'm not sure how else to improve the performance seeing as I'm very new to all this :paranoid:

Any idea's?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...I should say I'm only really looking at power/torque increases, I'm not too fussed about suspension, brakes etc.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Remap is only way for horse power gain. Can't see any harm for your young engine. Clutch might suffer if you always push on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't see any harm for your young engine. Clutch might suffer if you always push on.
Am I to infer from this comment that you have a remapped engine with more than 125k and no problems?

My clutch is relatively new with only 15k on it so may be worth the risk...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mines on 120K now, and had a remap done at about 115K in January this year - the clutch did need replacing shortly afterwards as it was original, but past that I've had no issues. I can't see why it would be a huge issue, diesel engines tend to last to high mileages and mine seems happy! I've got a friend with a 1.9 Tdi Passat, which has a remap and 200K on the clock without any problems.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Mines on 105k with a fairly aggresive map...but has a hybrid and lots of work done.

TBH the only things that would concern me are turbo,injectors and clutch

CV joints can be an issue with some cars but if you keep it sensible say 195 bhp absolute tops you should be ok,no one can give guarantees though, it's always a risk modding cars.

It will basically come down to the health of your engine and turbo and how its mapped.

Make sure MAF and MaP sensors are newish or at the very least clean and that the cambelt and waterpump are recentish ..a service is a good idea and look at some of the things that get forgotten like fuel filter for example...if the egr is still present get rid and a decat down pipe is a good enhancment from a throttle response perspective.

Just be aware any underlying issue will likely come to the surface.

As long as your prepared to handle that then crack on...

Also have a good look at vac and boost hoses as no point in a re-map if things are not tip top to begin with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Am I to infer from this comment that you have a remapped engine with more than 125k and no problems?

My clutch is relatively new with only 15k on it so may be worth the risk...
I have 115000 miles with no remap. The engine is still a peach compared to the rest of the car. A new map shouldn't be harmful to the engine as it deletes the egr.
I appreciate your concerns but remapping is a tried and tested route. I think the power gains are at the expense of the environment not the wear and tear of the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mines on 105k with a fairly aggresive map...but has a hybrid and lots of work done.

TBH the only things that would concern me are turbo,injectors and clutch

CV joints can be an issue with some cars but if you keep it sensible say 195 bhp absolute tops you should be ok,no one can give guarantees though, it's always a risk modding cars.

It will basically come down to the health of your engine and turbo and how its mapped.

Make sure MAF and MaP sensors are newish or at the very least clean and that the cambelt and waterpump are recentish ..a service is a good idea and look at some of the things that get forgotten like fuel filter for example...if the egr is still present get rid and a decat down pipe is a good enhancment from a throttle response perspective.

Just be aware any underlying issue will likely come to the surface.

As long as your prepared to handle that then crack on...

Also have a good look at vac and boost hoses as no point in a re-map if things are not tip top to begin with.

Good luck!
Hi

I'm considering a hybrid turbo for my 08 Blackline diesel and wondering if you could give me any advice. It's on 65k miles. What else would you recommend changing? I've been told similar to you - don't go beyond 195 bhp but I'd be looking for 240 to 250 bhp.

I believe the gearbox is only good to 195 bhp - is this true?

What else would you change?

What is the performance like with a hybrid turbo vs. a diesel at ~195bhp? Is it worth the extra?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi

I'm considering a hybrid turbo for my 08 Blackline diesel and wondering if you could give me any advice. It's on 65k miles. What else would you recommend changing? I've been told similar to you - don't go beyond 195 bhp but I'd be looking for 240 to 250 bhp.

I believe the gearbox is only good to 195 bhp - is this true?

What else would you change?

What is the performance like with a hybrid turbo vs. a diesel at ~195bhp? Is it worth the extra?

I'd be grateful for any advice.
well, my 07 Blackline diesel with an Autolusso hybrid is now on around 225 BP, so in order of weakness, the components you need to worry about..

1) clutch, I expect mine to go at some point in the next 5-10k despite that it was new less than a year ago along with the DMF. budget for a stage 2 at some point to cope with the torque.

2)DMF obviously it's easy to glaze it when the clutch begins to fail so consider this as a potential replacement item as well.

3) CV joints will start to become an issue at 240 BHP and as far as I am aware at the moment there is no upgrade, just a new replacement item, although I know an upgrade is being looked into by Alfadoit.

4) injectors, on your's and my 150 variant the injectors will not only be the limiting factor to +240 BHP but another potential weak point as they will be working way above the intended level.

I personally went with the policy of replacing all of the turbo related sensors at the same time as doing the turbo simply because at 100k they were likely past their best, this proved to be right in the case of the maf which failed the week before the change over to the hybrid. I just wanted a clean slate with it all but it's up to you how you proceed with this but at 65k they are probably ok.

I will say it wasn't plain sailing with my turbo at first and the fact that all of the sensors were new genuine helped diagnostically speaking, that issue has been identified and fixed so it will be plain sailing for you.

In terms of more power you may have to fit a 3 bar map sensor but TBH I am not sure at what point in the power figures this becomes relevant.

also make sure you upgrade the brakes with some performance pads and fluid at the very least and if you have the funds some grooved and drilled discs..and if you really have the funds some 330mm discs and bembro 4 pot front calipers.

I would also consider suspension upgrades VERY important, eibach ARB kit would be the very first thing to do followed by one of the tried and tested shock and spring upgrades, think Koni FSD or bilstien shocks paired with eibach springs.

re the gearbox the stock diff is the weak point on these not the gearbox itself so I would say a quaife is 100% required at the level of tune you are considering and will eliminate torque steer and understeer.

can't think of much else but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts