Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm Qtronic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,
New Alfa owner having recently purchased a 2008 159 2.4 JTDm Qtronic (147kw)

I'd get a remap done if not for being quoted AUD$1200 to have one done locally in a shop.

Reading through forums I've seen a few Aussies copy their ECU data and I think email it over to UK or otherwise based tuners to be modified and then send back and flashed onto the car and this works out substantially more affordable. Anyone on here able to do this for me or recommend a user?

I've also looked at tuning boxes online (both the in engine bay rail connected ones and also OBD2 port units) I've no experience with these and online opinion very very mixed so anyone with experience? I would prefer the above route I am thinking.

Any input is appreciated. Any Aussies with any experience here?

Cheers

·
Registered
Alfetta GTV6 supercharged racer, Alfa 159 3.2 awd Ti, Alfetta 2000 sedan
36 Posts
You get what you're paying for in regards to mapping, if you install one where you have no recourse and it stuffs your engine ,you're asking for trouble

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You get what you're paying for in regards to mapping, if you install one where you have no recourse and it stuffs your engine ,you're asking for trouble
Cheers for the reply mate,
I agree but am not in the financial situation to pay Australia's exorbitant prices for something much cheaper in the UK etc. And is essentially just software. My hope is that there will be someone reputable on the forum who has done this before/does so regularly for Aussies. And so has a quality reliable map, I'm not chasing outright insane power gains, just a reasonable increase without going stupid and risking the engine.
Which is why I'm avoiding the "powerbox" route (my understanding is they just increase rail pressure and fuel) as opposed to - sure a non vehicle specific map - but at least real parameters will be changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have a good guy for this in Poland and for remap with egr and dpf delete he want 500zl=100gbp. You can do this by email and flash it yourself with mpps cable. He know what he do...

Wysłane z mojego SNE-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
If your are going to load a generic tuning file (rather then one that's written bespoke for your car and tuned for your individual engines characteristics) then you might as well just buy a tuning box from one of the well known quality manufacturers...TDI Tuning etc. Ok it might not get every last horse power a bespoke map might....but then neither will a downloaded generic map...and at least you will have someone to shout at and a good warranty it breaks or doesn't work. Just get a good one programmed for your motor....not a cheap eBay "one size fits all" £80 box! I know lots on here swear by mapping and don't like boxes....but I've used both...sometimes on the same car at different times. Never felt much difference. Might be the answer in your case where getting a proper remap is difficult.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your are going to load a generic tuning file (rather then one that's written bespoke for your car and tuned for your individual engines characteristics) then you might as well just buy a tuning box from one of the well known quality manufacturers...TDI Tuning etc. Ok it might not get every last horse power a bespoke map might....but then neither will a downloaded generic map...and at least you will have someone to shout at and a good warranty it breaks or doesn't work. Just get a good one programmed for your motor....not a cheap eBay "one size fits all" £80 box! I know lots on here swear by mapping and don't like boxes....but I've used both...sometimes on the same car at different times. Never felt much difference. Might be the answer in your case where getting a proper remap is difficult.
Good reply Cheers mate, since you've experience with the boxes, do you know what they do/adjust, and if there'd be difference between an OBD2 box vs engine bay.
These are the boxes I've been looking at what would you say is the pick of the bunch, if any?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts