Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted anything like this to their Mito?

TMC Motorsport - Car Products

Seems an easy fix for 30 extra bhp!

What are the negatives?

C

·
0 Posts
not sure if i trust these sort of things.

would much rather have a custom dyno rolling road remap.

would be a similar price also
Have to agree with you there towney - it's a fair chunk of cash to lose if you decide after 30 days that you don't like the power delivery.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
A tuning box won't do anything for a 95, turbo motors seem to respond well though, a lot of the Abarth guys are running a TMC and they all seem well happy with it, at least on the 500s, on the higher power punto I have noticed that a few guys who run the box have had problems with sensor failure and the car going to limp mode, but the cars are at an age where they could be genuine issues with the car and not related to the box. It's put me off though to be honest.

The 135s are seeing upto 165-170 on the dyno, the punto multi air in the region of 200, and SS punto about 220, so they can definitely deliver and most people I have spoke to at meets keep telling me how good it is and that I should get one so I am very tempted.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did have a 95bhp, but I have a QV on order.

I know the box would have no effect on the 95bhp, particularly as I'd linked to a box for the 170 engine ;)

Sounds like a remap is the way to go!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Get use to the power of the QV first ;-) ..big step up from the 95hp.

Have had remaps and tuning boxes in the past and think that if you want more power, a more higher powered car with the components to handle this is the way forward! Though I still like to modify/personalize my cars

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
a remap by monza (which i had done at first) is your best option

its not just a tuning box which is generic, they developed a custom remap on the rolling road for the QV. transformed the car, cost me £325. and as they have allready developed it, they simply just need to upload it to your car, will take about 30 mins.

I have also had the full ragazzon system and custom remap done by monza, which makes a massive difference. ill be going to the rolloing road day in fahrem (south central lounge) if anyone would like to see on the 21st jan. Had a lil race with a ford mondeo (240 bhp) last night, was was a close race, although i would say i just had the edge. im pretty sure his car was tuned, as it had non standard exausts (that is unless form are equiping 4 exausts to their mondeo range)

·
Registered
320 Posts
not sure if i trust these sort of things.
would much rather have a custom dyno rolling road remap.
would be a similar price also
Familiar with a lot of guys using the TMC on the A500 to bring up to the power output of an A500 esseesse. Standard the A500 is putting out 145bhp (advertised at 135bhp) and with the TMC is gives out 165bhp. There's a setting on the TMC and it is set to 7. If you fit it on the A500 esseesse it brings the power up to 170bhp from 158bhp on a recommended setting of 6. One guy in particular felt that put in on an esseesse felt that it drove much better with it on. Higher octane fuel has to be used - it does not run properly on 95 which is all that I can get in my country. Also the newer ethanol 5% content fuel gives higher octane but less energy resulting in a loss of around 2mpg that's offset with the higher boost that one can run.

One problem with the TMC is that the boost gauge does not read accurately but a different one can be fitted. Doesn't matter on a mito with the bar graph.

One of the + of the TMC is that it can be easily taken off. The new version only has 2 connections whilst the older one has 3. Having fitted a TMC it can then be taken off and its existence is not detectable.

I've just put a deposit down on a 155TB and it's unlikely that I would fit one - even if I could I don't have the 'proper' high octance fuel.

Is there a variable back pressure exhaust system that can be got for the Mito like the Monza - this would a 'safe' increase in BHP for the newer MAs or the 155TB.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your advice!

I know it's a huge step... luckily i'm well used to it as we have a Giulietta with the same engine, cannot wait to have a mito with it in! Just worried about my license haha!

What are the drawbacks to a remap? Fuel economy or anything like that?

I've read a lot about the TMC box and there are so many mixed reviews on it, so I think I am going to stay clear!

Also do you need to tell your insurance about a remap?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Speak to alfatune - see above. Pm them and they'll be glad to let you know i'm sure

You can get the remap set on a specific drive mode (ie dynamic) so if you wanted to drive on an eco run then just keep it in N.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts