Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have tried searching but cant find what i am looking for, I have a 2010 159 2L diesel ,I would like a tuning box (so i can remove at will)

1. are they advised for the 2L
2. any issues with the clutch afterwards
3. any recommendations for which box to buy

any advice would be great as i have never used a box before

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used to have a 1.9JTD with a "Spider" Tuning box fitted for a while. I had no issues with the box itself and there was a perceived increase in power. It does screw with the fuel consumption computer though and tells you that suddenly your car is more economical, yet faster - great stuff if it were true (it's not)
After 15,000 miles the clutch was showing signs of slipping (box fitted from 22000 to 37,000 miles) and I sold the car very soon afterwards. I know the 2.0JTDm gearbox is stronger than the 1.9 but I'm not sure how much better the clutch is?
Remapping will be better than a tuning box but not always possible to do on a leased or company car, so tuning boxes still have a place.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've had a Spider Tuning box on my 1.6D Giulietta for over 2 years 25000+ miles now, 8000 to 33000 miles and not had an issue. With the new iMode box versions you can change the settings/map on the fly with a mobile app, so you can turn it completely off and then set it to maximum (Race Mode) and the difference is amazing and pretty much the same as going for N to D with the DNA switch.

Also have one on my Fiesta Ecoboost 125bhp which now easily get to 0-60 in under 7.6 every time which is amazing from the already brilliant 1Litre 3 pot engine. Also can remove or connect to both of my engines in 2 - 4 minutes each, really easy.

So I can more than recommend a Spider Tuning box and you don't have to have it on a high setting or even use all the extra power all the time if you worry about clutches, the extra power is just there if you really need to put your foot down but I find that's only 5-10% of the time but you really appreciate it when you do.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
the only tuning box's I've ever used are those that plug into your injectors, not those that plug into your fuel rail pressure sensor and just lower the pressure feedback to the ecu so it raises rail pressure. Long story short they alter regen injections too.

I used to use this: (link is for your engine) https://www.steinbauer.cc/gb/products/passenger/alfa-romeo/159/20l-jtdm-125kw__473/a8z/ and I went to great lengths with there support team and design engineers from the factory test lab to make sure the regen cycle was not effected. "don't want to bore anyone but its all in my F1 tuning thread somewhere lol"

Down side is they arn't cheap, I payed around £500 at the time (2009iirc) but there may be other tuning boxes around now that work the same way on the injectors.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts