Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

I've just announced myself in the newbie section.. but I came here for more!

I've been reading a lot about this tuning boxes peolple buy for the Giuliettas, are this better than a std remap? I guess they are way more practical because you can put it on and take it away as you please.

This are two options I found for my Giulietta:

RACE CHIP
Chiptuning for Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TB MultiAir ? RaceChip Chiptuning

NOVITEC POWERJET 3
Novitec Powerjet 3 für 1.4 TB - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos

TMC MOTORSPORT
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Chiptuning Box Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 16V MultiAir 125 kW 170 PS Engine & Gearbox Tuning

BLUESPARK AUTOMOTIVE
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TB 16V Multiair 170 BHP / 125kw Petrol & Diesel Chip Tuning Boxes

SPIDER IMODE PERFORMANCE
Performance Pack Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TB MultiAir 1368cc 170hp 125KW 250NM

MAGNETI MARELLI ME110T
LISTA CENTRALINE TURBO BENZINA

Are there any more tuning boxes available?

Which one would you recommend? Any experiences?

Here are some pics of my Giulietta, is 2011 with 26.000 km, in really good shape.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/introduce-yourself/965962-mato-giulietta-1-4t-170-cv-petrol.html#post14577674

Any help will be appreciated! I wont to get some extra juice but not installing something nobody tried before :paranoid:

Thanks in advance!
Mato

·
Registered
231 Posts
I dont have a box fitted or a remap but am considering a box as it is always removable.

been drawns towards the race chip pro 2 for its price and "stated" increase.

The mito guys on the forum seem to really like the TMC box's, GQV and older alfa's like the spiders.
I really think it comes down to what you prefer at the end of the day and what functions you want. All have been fitted by someone on here without any complaint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the relplies!

For what I understand they are all good.. the "nicer" one seems to be the RaceChip, but of course it may be only looks.

There are 3 stages, I feel maybe the stage 3 is quite a push for the engine, maybe stage 2 is more "gentle" with it.

What do you think? Would you always go with stage 3 or what are your thoughts about it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mato_giu you forgot the Magneti Marelli ME110T

LISTA CENTRALINE TURBO BENZINA
Great thanks, Ive just added it to the list.

Is the price of this box somewhere on the site?

The cheaper Micro box claims

Standard Power
170ps
250NM

Tuned Power
213ps
313NM

Micro-box Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TB 1368cc 170ps 250Nm
Seems a little high, but the RaceChip stage 3 alternative claims a 48 hp increase. Hard to believe, or hard on the engine.. anyway I rather squeeze a little less the engine and play on the "safe" side!

·
Registered
231 Posts
just get a gqv if you want more power:thumbup:
This!
No replacement for displacement.

But i do like how frugal my little 1.4 can be....37mpg on this current tank but that little extra punch would be lovely.

i think ill be saving for a racechip pro 2 unless someone tells me to fit another one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This!
No replacement for displacement.

But i do like how frugal my little 1.4 can be....37mpg on this current tank but that little extra punch would be lovely.

i think ill be saving for a racechip pro 2 unless someone tells me to fit another one.
"No replacement for displacement" so true.. but even though Id like the QV, its still nice to be able to cruise with values as low as 7-8 lts/100km

Yes but remember even if it does achieve anywhere near that bhp, you can adjust it down. You dont need to have it on max settings

I purchased the spider tuning box today for £184, there has been good feedback on this tuning box for the multi air so it is proven.....plus you get a big discount.

See here

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/401209-spider-tuning-box-review.html
Sounds like a great deal! Which alfa do you own?

I think not all of the different tunning boxes offer adjustments, for example the racechip looks like its ON or OFF, no middle settings.

One question, do you know it the tunning boxes in general affect all the DNA settings or just the "Dynamic" mode?

·
Registered
648 Posts
"No replacement for displacement" so true.. but even though Id like the QV, its still nice to be able to cruise with values as low as 7-8 lts/100km

Sounds like a great deal! Which alfa do you own?

I think not all of the different tunning boxes offer adjustments, for example the racechip looks like its ON or OFF, no middle settings.

One question, do you know it the tunning boxes in general affect all the DNA settings or just the "Dynamic" mode?
I have the mito 135 MA, as far as i can gather it works on all but is obviously more noticeable in Dynamic

I know this spider box has a few adjustments similar to the TMC box. I will be doing a review on it, hopefully it will be with in the next day or two.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the mito 135 MA, as far as i can gather it works on all but is obviously more noticeable in Dynamic

I know this spider box has a few adjustments similar to the TMC box. I will be doing a review on it, hopefully it will be with in the next day or two.
Ill be following this closely as im torn between this spider (£181) and the race chip pro 2 (£200)
Any links to those reviews on the spider box you bought for MA engines?

After the recent engine and gearbox updates the car just lacks the punch it had and i want it back. :furious:

I can highly recommend a OBD2 scanner and the torque app to measure any differences that the arse in seat dyno isnt sure of.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the Spider Tuning Box on my QV 1750 after playing about with the different setting dials on this older version, I settled for max on both the RPM & Power dials. Although this reduces the mpg's for town driving by 3 to 4mpg, but for my normal mainly open 'A, B & C' roads the mpg hardly changed from figures without the tuning box fitted, perhaps due to being able to hold the higher gears at lower speeds.

The Spider Tuning Box gives a surprising smoother power delivery in the lower settings to max, but its a QV and for instance that occasional time overtaking would not be an option, this setting makes most situation so easy.

As for remaps my 156 2.4JTD was done by Angel Tuning and driving the car for the first time after its remap fell like the engine had been replaced with one from a HST train. This car just doesn't know what hills/mountains are. Absolutely great car for our Italian trips abroad most years made even better thanks to the remap, also the mpg shot up after too. This car was remapped nearly 10 years ago and no engine issues what so ever before or since.

My QV needs the exhaust system and perhaps intake ducts/filter (currently BMC fitted) sorting to aid gas flow and engine bay cooling before going for a remap also.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have the Spider Tuning Box on my QV 1750 after playing about with the different setting dials on this older version, I settled for max on both the RPM & Power dials. Although this reduces the mpg's for town driving by 3 to 4mpg, but for my normal mainly open 'A, B & C' roads the mpg hardly changed from figures without the tuning box fitted, perhaps due to being able to hold the higher gears at lower speeds.

The Spider Tuning Box gives a surprising smoother power delivery in the lower settings to max, but its a QV and for instance that occasional time overtaking would not be an option, this setting makes most situation so easy.

As for remaps my 156 2.4JTD was done by Angel Tuning and driving the car for the first time after its remap fell like the engine had been replaced with one from a HST train. This car just doesn't know what hills/mountains are. Absolutely great car for our Italian trips abroad most years made even better thanks to the remap, also the mpg shot up after too. This car was remapped nearly 10 years ago and no engine issues what so ever before or since.

My QV needs the exhaust system and perhaps intake ducts/filter (currently BMC fitted) sorting to aid gas flow and engine bay cooling before going for a remap also.
After the update did you get the Dynamic back using the Spider box and did it improve throttle response..... Also you say that it smoothed out power delivery, however was there a noticeable difference in the torque etc.

Would you say its worth the money??

Bbadger, mostly the reviews were on this site but there is a few good reviews in the ford and bmw forums

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi folks.

firstly i advise u to consider magneti marelli and novitec. Because they are very close to Fiat&Alfa Group.

I ordered magneti marelli me110t last week and just recieved it but not plugged yet. I plan to install this weekend and i will let you know what is changed on the car.

By the way, magneti has a remote control and it allows u to change the mode of the module (0/1/2) 0 : Stock 170 hp 2: Race mode-201hp

·
Registered
464 Posts
After the update did you get the Dynamic back using the Spider box and did it improve throttle response..... Also you say that it smoothed out power delivery, however was there a noticeable difference in the torque etc.

Would you say its worth the money??

Bbadger, mostly the reviews were on this site but there is a few good reviews in the ford and bmw forums

Thanks

Andy
Hi folks.

firstly i advise u to consider magneti marelli and novitec. Because they are very close to Fiat&Alfa Group.

I ordered magneti marelli me110t last week and just recieved it but not plugged yet. I plan to install this weekend and i will let you know what is changed on the car.

By the way, magneti has a remote control and it allows u to change the mode of the module (0/1/2) 0 : Stock 170 hp 2: Race mode-201hp

My original response in D mode was to say more like standing on the proverbial cats tail, off it shot with little accelerator movement and would briefly go into over boost (all the Boost bars illuminated), then settle back to 2 bars less than full scale on the boost display.
This worked for all gears in most situations making driving in working boots a non starter for accelerator control. Training shoes being order of the day or thin sole shoes.
The original map being my preferred engine response and why I brought the QV in the first place.

With the older Spider Box version I have (RPM & Power Dials with range 0 to 9) the response has given back some of the lost accelerator response, but the real improvement came from getting back lost BHP/Torque, after the Alfa's service update killed my D mode but improved N mode.
The Spider Box gives coupled a more linear power delivery, although as mentioned the sharp response I loved is still not there and only a remap will sort this one out.

The other tuning I cannot comment on not having used them on this engine.
However the Spider also do the tuning box version were the setting can be changed using your mobile, just not while driving please. Also this version gives even more BHP/Torque increases than my older model.
Did Magneti Marelli or Bosch develop the electronics and another company the software as when my car went for engine output tests with the dealer to be coupled to their web based engine diagnostics another companies name is on the printout with parts of this written in Italian.
By the way the computer said....NO (or Normal engine output).
Therefore the original D mode was certainly much quicker than its post service remap update.
Several performance tests latter this was confirmed with the in ability to reach know speeds and turbo boost showing a huge drop off in boost. Still the Spider Box has got back the power at least and thats well worth it for my money.

·
Registered
436 Posts
had a celtic tuning remap on qv and car is way more exciting to drive .if you get a few cars together they do a great discount around what you are paying for a box...and they are mobile.maybe get a group together before buying boxes.there maps are damn good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts