Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Just bought a 156 and have been looking at there various ways to tune her, started to think about the handling, but with regards to this I've never drove a car as good as this so surely Alfa got this right 1st time? As for the brakes I have been a little disapointed but could this just be my brakes need servicing or that coming from an old skool VW background I'm not used to the likes of ABS?

Anyhow does anybody have any ideas as to where can I start with this areas?

How do Improve on perfection?

McCoy

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Handling wise it's not right 1st time, Koni FSD shocks along with Eibach pro springs and anti roll bar kit make it perfect, as for brakes, there is a brembo conversion but you need 17" wheels minimum to fit them.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
What Smaky said really, Eibach Pro springs & Koni FSD shocks are the ultimate compromise for ride & handling on the sort of roads we all drive every day.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got a set of Bilsteins and Eibach springs. The transformation is phenomenal. If you think they got it right from the factory, wait til you have a go with some decently tuned suspension under it...

As for brakes, the biggest gains you will get (bang for buck) come from a new set of pads and a fluid bleed. I've got a set of Ferodo DS pads (with DBA slotted rotors) and for harder driving I reckon they're a neccessity.

All up those mods cost me A$2500 fitted (about 1300GBP) which I think is fantastic value.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
My Brembo conversion cost me £400 for everything except the brake fluid, now thats bang for buck :D

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've just put EBC sport discs and EBC Green stuff pads on, to do front and back (brembo conversion just on front) about £300ish, my wife has them all round on her 147 and to stops on a button. i think a brembo conversion on a 1.8 is a little excessevie but if want the brembo calipers look cool.
As for handling i'm a family man so apart from the odd occasion i dont get to drive around corners fast but i have lowered by 40mm on ebach pro springs and it looks cool on 17" wheels...

Attachments

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
My Ferrari calipers came with a set of EBC Greenstuff pads, but they are not a patch on the Performance Friction pads I've replaced them with. With the standard calipers I don't think you can go far wrong with Ferodo DS2500s, standard discs, braided s/s hoses and some racing brake fluid.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I can also vouch for the Eibach + Bilstein B8 Combo.. i'm running them on my 156 and i can't really fault them... the difference is night and day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts