Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really happy with my bella, apart from the stereo arrangements - the speakers are rubbish, and I want to replace them, but without hacking around my door bins with MDF - is there anythhing that will plug straight in, so to speak? I have a V reg 2.0 lusso,

Ciao

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Have you tried Halfords? When I wanted some decent speakers for my 145 I found that Sony did a range which are a direct physical replacement for the cr*p ones that came with the car. Only problem is that the sensitivity is a bit lower, so need to turn it up a bit more to get the same volume; occasionally causes the stereo to overheat if I have the heater and load music on at the same time!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Have you tried Halfords? When I wanted some decent speakers for my 145 I found that Sony did a range which are a direct physical replacement for the cr*p ones that came with the car. Only problem is that the sensitivity is a bit lower, so need to turn it up a bit more to get the same volume; occasionally causes the stereo to overheat if I have the heater and load music on at the same time!

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by benjy GTV:
<strong>Only an Alfa could overheat the stereo....</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, in reality, only Sony could produce speakers that could bugger your Alfa eek! :D laughing

Don't Phillips also do a kit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or could I just whack a Sub in the botom of my boot - I don't have the spare wheel and thers's a nice space at the bottom of the boot.....?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by benjy GTV:
<strong>Or could I just whack a Sub in the botom of my boot - I don't have the spare wheel and thers's a nice space at the bottom of the boot.....?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could, you would need a really small volume sub, and you would have to protect the face of the sub from anything you put into the boot.

The best one i've seen on a GTV is the Genesis 6x9 subs in the rear shelf location with some focal's in the doors - Kicker do something similar but the Genesis are much better.

If over heating is a problem - use an amp in the boot so the stereo is not generating any heat from it's internal amp, the alpine mid range units (e.g my old 7893) and I'm sure others allow you to turn the internal amp off and rely on external amps for tunes.

I'd look at some decent components in the doors, genesis 6x9 subs in the parcel shelf and a single 4 channel amp in the boot.

I'm itching to change the Bose setup in mine but the wife woul kill me spending money -- again!

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Benjy.I would swap the standard head unit for something better first.This alone produced much better sound quality even with the standard speakers.
Also have a look at the ICE section on the forum at www.gtvv6.com
This subject has been covered a few times there and theres several very knowledgable guys who have done major ICE upgrades on their GTVs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For about a tenner, Halfords do an adaptor plate that lets you fit 5.25" speakers, then the choice is pretty huge!

I fitted JBL GTO components to the front, and GTO 3-ways to the rear, and have a 350w Philips basstube in the boot on a false floor.

I did loads of fiddling round this weekend and found the best sound was had by using my 4-channel Alpine V12 amp to power the front components, and the basstube, with the crossover set to clip 100hz off the components, and only give below 100hz, and the gain for the sub slightly higher than that of the components.

Using the rears as well gave a really crap stereo image so they're just ornaments now wink

1 - 10 of 10 Posts