Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Could you see that your old breather was blocked, will I be able to take mine off and establish whether it's fine or not?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Could you see that your old breather was blocked, will I be able to take mine off and establish whether it's fine or not?
No, from what I could tell via reading around theres no way to tell if its buggered from looking at it...

However its a £3 part, so might as well just replace :)

A

·
0 Posts
Cool, cuz my twinny consumes as much as yours, and has a leak down below. I might as well swap it. I'm Changing my plugs soon, dont know if any oil in wells.

Do you have a part no? I guess you got It In netherlands?

How do you fit it?

just unscrew and push new one in?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
part number is 71713715

About £3.

Officially its pop the old one off and plug the new one in - however its a bloody tight fit. You will need some long nose pliers or similar to help.

A

·
0 Posts
Found a place online but they wanted £20 all in! Wait and contact my local alfa dealer.

So where does the spring and ring go, any diagrams?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Inside the tube it comes off. Its all v. straightforward once you get it to pieces.

My old one was missing the rubber seal, which wont have helped.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Can I dare to dream? :jester:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/alexisbad/alfa romeo/DSC_0004_6.jpg

Boring photo, but look no oil stain(s). Thats after an overnight rest! woo and indeed hoo. For the first time in 5+ years I might have a car with no oil leaks. Outstanding, and thanks to those whom suggested the PCV breather - bloody cheap fix too!

I might even have to consider cleaning the old stains from the garage floor now!

A

·
0 Posts
Can I dare to dream? :jester:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/alexisbad/alfa romeo/DSC_0004_6.jpg

Boring photo, but look no oil stain(s). Thats after an overnight rest! woo and indeed hoo. For the first time in 5+ years I might have a car with no oil leaks. Outstanding, and thanks to those whom suggested the PCV breather - bloody cheap fix too!

I might even have to consider cleaning the old stains from the garage floor now!
Did you change to 10/60 at Same time, is that part of the improvement?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yes, switched to 10/60 at the same time, although I'd expect the oil to (hopefully) fix the issue with it coming out the exhaust, rather than the physical leaks on the block itself.

I'm going to experiment with 5-50 as a compromise in the near future.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Having just come back from a long driving trip around Italy in my Spider, apparently driving like an Italian means pointlessly sitting on the car in front's bumper, then cutting in front to get off the motorway exit. Overtaking on blind brows/corners/junctions. Overtaking anything that is going slightly slower, driving into the oncoming traffic, needlessly honking the horn, and parking by touch. If you lot want to drive like Italians, don't come to somerset please :)
Where did you go? Any photos? I have to say we didn't encounter to much bad driving in Italy including the bigger places, like Rome or Turin, most were pretty good including the motorways, obviously always some idiots about. It certainly wasn't worse than where we live in Watford, where it is getting worse on a daily basis. It's less busy in lovely Somerset I guess?
Euroboy-glad you have fixed the leak and at only £3, marvelous!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts