Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Took the breather off tonight, a trip to the Alfa dealer tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Jesus, whats with people saying Euroboy should be pampering his engine? Its an alfa for **** sake, not a bmw, its engine was designed to be revved.
My own twinny is on 167K miles and goes over 6000 rpm a lot, never mind 5000 rpm. If the engine does blow, boo-hoo, at the milage its at , it was coming close to a rebuild soon, I just get to do it sooner and put that respray off a little bit longer.

I don't get this idea of keeping the car garaged up, only wheeled out on a sunny day and driven under 3000 rpm. Wheres the fun in that?

Anyway rant over, Euroboy Im sorry for your troubles and hope its sorted soon

A

·
0 Posts
I have an Italian friend who is a mechanic / car restorer . He's had GTV v6, 156 V6, Ferrari, currently has a rolls Royce, MG, jeep, Fiat 500. Anyway point is ;he absolutely love s cars. He won't brake the speed limit though, or drive "spirited" as Alfa like to put it. I asked him why and he said he had a car accident as a youth, which frightened him off driving that way.

You can still love your Alfa and drive like your on a test.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Cheers Scortho.

Glad im not the only one who drives the car the way the Italians intended :)

Enjoy it - stuff breaks - fix it when it does - enjoy again :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Cam cover off this evening.

Everything looks pretty good (I think) in the top of the engine...?

Cam cover itself looks OK, no visible cracks. Left corners (top and bottom) there was quite some sticky residue left behind from the gasket (it lifted cleanly everywhere else), so I wonder if thats something or nothing.

Ill give everything a good clean tomorrow, then cam cover back on with new gasket... does anyone recommend using a sealant for this too?

Ive ordered the breather valve. Its on backorder with Alfa, which basically means GOOD LUCK!, however the dealer had a second parts supplier whom happily had it in stock, so can pick up tomorrow.

At this stage im hoping the breather was blocked which caused the cover gasket to blow out on the left side.

Will report back when I know more!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/alexisbad/alfa romeo/DSC_0030_11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/alexisbad/alfa romeo/DSC_0031_10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/alexisbad/alfa romeo/DSC_0029_9.jpg

ps. also ordered a nice billet Alu oil cap from Alfisti.net! :jester:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
To hopefully put to bed the recommended oil debate once and for all.

Taken from my owners manual, published 1998, when the JTS was but a twinkle in Luigis eye....

10w-40

or**

under hard driving conditions:

Selenia 10w-60 fully synth

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/alexisbad/alfa romeo/DSC_0001_2.jpg

(I know its in le francais, but I think even Del Boy could make sense of that) :)

I think I will probably drop back to a 5or10w-50, but the fact remains Alfa recommend 10w-60 full synth for hard driven TS engines.

:)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
LOL good luck with that :)
LOL, it does put the Alfa recommended oil debate to bed, its right there in black and white.

I doesnt stop the debate over what people think is best though :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Pretty sure it is recommended to use a little bit of sealant on the left hand corners (where you found the old residue) as they are the most likely areas to get leaks iirc. I also put some around the plug wells when I changed mine just to help keep oil out of them in the event of a spill whilst topping up the engine oil as my spark plugs had quite a bit of oil in them when I first took the cover off.

And regarding the engine oil, remember that everyone in an apparent expert ;) I use 5W-60 fully synth (Penrite) and the car runs smoother and uses less oil than it ever has before. Used to run 10W-40 semi then 5W-40 FS and the car is definitely happier with the 5W-60 so I am definitely sticking with it!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ive just been out and picked up some sealant. I am indeed going to use just a little bit on the cam-belt side corners.

Reactions: AussieAlex

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
All back together again now... just waiting on the breather which I will hopefully collect this afternoon. I can then test-fire it tomorrow.

Hoping to buggery that there are no leaks!

A

·
0 Posts
In my English manual the recommended engine oil is 10w/40 semi, but there is a * which reads : "for decidedly sporting use of the car selenia racing 10w/60 fully synthetic oil is recommended"

In the critique of 10/60w by opie oils, (hopefully link below works) it says 10w/60w is important for prolonged high temperatures in racing, but the downside is more wear, less bhp, less fuel economy, and higher chance of some critical failures aside from that caused by the general extra wear.

It stresses of course where that grade is not recommended.

So the manual recommends 10w/40 but has a caveat for sporting use. Do they literally mean sporting though? It seems extreme to me to use an oil that's 70% thicker at high Temps, unless enginr designed with that viscosity primarily in mind.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https...s98O-g&usg=AFQjCNH-_S10duUaY20XB_Vo_RHWdKpJwQ

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Interesting article - essentially saying 10w-60 not recommended by Opie, unless recommended by the manufacturer!

Car all back together again and test run for a few mins in the garage. Idles OK with no obvious oil leaks and a solid idle, so presume no vacuum leaks etc. Will take it for a proper run tomorrow. I did notice that the old breather valve did not have the small rubber seal present in the new kit.... something or nothing, I dont know.

FWIW, the re-fitting of the new breather cover was easily the most annoying/fiddly part of the whole exercise! Its supposed to be push fit, but bugger me if the little plastic clip wouldnt quite slide under :censored:

If it drives well tomorrow, its a case of run it for a while and see what happens.....

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Top right of engine, small plastic cylinder hiding left of the throttle body electrical connectors. - just follow the rubber pipe coming off the engine cam cover.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
422 Posts
Cheers Scortho.

Glad im not the only one who drives the car the way the Italians intended :)

Enjoy it - stuff breaks - fix it when it does - enjoy again :)
Having just come back from a long driving trip around Italy in my Spider, apparently driving like an Italian means pointlessly sitting on the car in front's bumper, then cutting in front to get off the motorway exit. Overtaking on blind brows/corners/junctions. Overtaking anything that is going slightly slower, driving into the oncoming traffic, needlessly honking the horn, and parking by touch. If you lot want to drive like Italians, don't come to somerset please :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Without wanting to count my chickens all at once, it would *appear* that this has been a great success, at least in terms of whats dripping out under the car.

I de-gunked and powerwashed the underside of the car a few days ago, and the mess under the car has been getting smaller each day, as I presume the last of the oil etc drips off the block.

I drove it this morning, parked it up, put a white cardboard box under the car, and when I came back at 4pm it was bone dry! :smoker:

If this has fixed the engine-bay leak I am shocked at just how much of problem a blocked breather can cause, as the oil loss at its worst was very, very bad.

Itll need a few more days to verify, but it seems the signs are good! :)

Reactions: AussieAlex
21 - 40 of 51 Posts