Alfa Romeo Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
I can imagine why they’d cost Lamborghini money to run.
And they and the TT are to be discontinued.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
It’s a tightly packed engine that might need to be pulled for silly little jobs that cost silly little money for the part but you can’t access it.
The market sways toward SUV’s now. There’s even a 2 year waiting list for an SMax. Even saloon cars are selling less.
The MX5 still sells well though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
If there’s an Audi R8 V10 for less than £40k be prepared it will be a money pit.
Servicing costs on them are nothing short of Lamborghini money.
You get what you pay for in the car trade

The ad states his reason for selling. He’s had a crap px offer and he is trading up.

£40k will buy a mint early V10 manual in a month or 2. Servicing is reasonable for what it is through reputable independents.

Always bargains to be had privately if you look.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It’s a tightly packed engine that might need to be pulled for silly little jobs that cost silly little money for the part but you can’t access it.
The market sways toward SUV’s now. There’s even a 2 year waiting list for an SMax. Even saloon cars are selling less.
The MX5 still sells well though

Air con is a engine out job in early v8’s. Frame can crack in pre 2011 cars. Other than that. There are no major issues.

Of course it costs more than a regular car to maintain. It’s a v10, mid engined supercar.

I would rather lose a bollock than drive a Smax or a Mx5. Smax is not a suv it’s a mpv. Awful.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
What ever you get good luck Kev I’m sure you’ll be in a better position to get a deal leaning toward your favour if you’re willing to buy outright once this is over.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Air con is a engine out job in early v8’s. Frame can crack in pre 2011 cars. Other than that. There are no major issues.

Of course it costs more than a regular car to maintain. It’s a v10, mid engined supercar.

I would rather lose a bollock than drive a Smax or a Mx5. Smax is not a suv it’s a mpv. Awful.
Yes it’s a van with windows that’s why there’s a two year waiting list because no one wants MPV’s

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
I know three very happy S-Max owners and one of them waited ten months for his new one. It replaced an S-Max. Another friend bought his to replace an Audi S3.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Family guys with a football team?
Better choice over a Grand or Crossland X poor excuse for SUV’s

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
This is unprecedented
It really isn’t. We’ve had 11ish years of expansion, a contraction was on the cards. Central banks had been printing money (QE) and blown up a bubble in the values of everything. Interest rates were still close to zero = central banks are out of ammo. There was a good chance the next one was going to be a bad one.

2008 was the result of the bubble in property prices popping, but instead of having a reset, letting people who had borrowed too much money go bust, central banks dropped rates to zero, printed a shitload of money and managed to re-inflate the bubble not only in property but in everything else too. Anyone with an eye on economics had the feeling this was coming, Coronavirus was just the pin, the bubble was waiting to be popped by whatever came along, could have been America & Iran, North Korea, trade war in China crashing the markets, Russia/Ukraine blowing up.

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
Banks were stable until they lost people’s confidence by crazy ratios of backing to lending. In any other context it would be considered gambling but then it’d have to be with their own money?
I don't think banks have lost the confidence of the consumer. The government insures what, £80-something thousand pounds of balances anyway? I've not heard of any cash machines running out of cash or queues outside banks this time around, like there was in 2008.

Fractional reserve banking is a crazy system but it works because probably less than 1 in 10 people with money in a bank actually knows what is happening. And whether you have cash in your hand or numbers on a screen, none of it is backed by anything anyway.

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
I was talking about when the public had lost confidence in Northern Rock when they queued to take their money out as they heard about toxic debt they’d got involved in. Banks got into derivatives backed by worthless property in the US and that’s why the government has to offer their guarantees now. I’ve had descriptions of derivatives trading from “city workers” who I know. The loans to assets ratio is of some importance as there could be a situation where the assets are not liquid or at a value that works, hence the resurgence of Gold when things get tougher.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Loss of consumer confidence is NR trailed the loss of market confidence by quite some time.

There was nothing fundamentally wrong with NR. Its bad debts as a percentage of book were perfectly normal, they had lent aggressively, but it was not reckless. They failed because they misaligned their mortgages with capital raising - they needed to find a load of money (nothing abnormal) just as the market was getting nervous. It was more a Treasury problem than lending - the Treasury strategy was reckless.

Their failure was nothing to do with derivatives.

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
I filled the tank on the Stelvio three weeks ago and haven’t used it since. I heard the pumps were one of the most shared surfaces going so washed my hands when I got home.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts