Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of selling the TS after chrismas is over and getting a JTD. probably the 2.4. I dont do vast amounts of miles so fuel econemy is not vital but I presume it will be cheaper on road tax. These are not the main reasons for changing I just fancy a remapped JTD with good amounts of torque. I would love go for a V6 but I can not see me being able to afford it with 2 kids and a house to pay for.:cry:
So back to the point I drove my dads Passat 150 recently and although picked up pace easily the narrow rev range was not to my liking so my question in all this is will I get used to the way of the Diesel or will I regret moving from a great free reving engine?

Has anyone regreted the move to diesel or loved it and on the flip side has anyone gone from the JTD to the TS / JTS and what do you think?

If you got this far thanks and well done:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i went from a 1.8ts to a 2.5v6 i travel from preston to warrington then back to preston again each day and the cost of running hasent really changed much for me, i used to do 7 days on a tank full of fuel in the 1.8 and i still do 7 days on a full tank in my v6, insurance only cost me £10 per month more so the only extra cost for me was an extra tenner on the insurance bill :thumbs:

·
Registered
377 Posts
My 2.4 JTD has a much broader power band than 1.9's, the power is phenomenal. I've driven a few powerful petrols recently and I missed the seemingly instant power my derv delivers just about everywhere in the rev range.

If you're not doing a lot of miles it's probably more economical to stick with petrol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I always considered myself a petrol head, loved my TS and the smooth wide power band. However went for a '05 156 1.9JTDm 16V. I had it remapped to 180BHP. Took me a couple of weeks to get use to the different driving technique. Short shifting, using the mid range torque, it flies. Now I love it, and I and wouldn't go back to a sparky. It is totally unsubtle the way it puts the power down, yet will give 60mpg on a motorway run and just under 50mpg around town. Like Marmite you will either love it or hate it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My first diesel road car was my old Mondeo Tdci 130 and I was stunned by the in-gear acceleration the car was capable of.

When the time came to change and I came back to the Alfa fold, there was only one engine for me and the 2.4 20V M-Jet does not disappoint. It's obviously much quicker 0-60 than the Mondeo, but the 284 lb ft of torque really shows once you're rolling as she pulls like an express train from about 1500rpm right up to the 5000rpm red-line (the rev counter tops out at 6000rpm) without any let up. Alfa have also got the engine/exhaust note spot on with this one.

The fuel economy/road tax is a nice bonus, but for me the main attraction is the sheer driveability of the car.

My Bella might be a oily smoker, but she doesn't half go !!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I made the move from a TS to JTDm
The only thing i miss is the whole smoothness of the TS engine.

If you re map the JTD you won't miss much in the way of rev range, as you need to get a TS up over 4k to get the best out of it anyway.

The 1.9 JTDm (150) pulls very well with a remap from under 2k all the way up to 5k. even better if you have a 2.4 20v.

I went on the wales run with one other derv and loads of petrols and it was a dream driving those roads with all that torque and power :p

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Moved from a 2.5 V6 to a 2.4 JTD (150 bhp) and I don't miss the V6. The power of the JTD is awesome and yes it is a different driving style but just as much fun. With 40 plus mpg as well its just fantastic. I also love leaving rear bumper huggers behind in a cloud of smoke!!!

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Moved from a 2.5 V6 to a 2.4 JTD (150 bhp) and I don't miss the V6. The power of the JTD is awesome and yes it is a different driving style but just as much fun. With 40 plus mpg as well its just fantastic. I also love leaving rear bumper huggers behind in a cloud of smoke!!!
Don't you miss the noise though? ;)

I think I'd choose a remapped 10v or 16v over a 2.5 for an everyday car, but I'm still glad I made the swap to my V6. There won't be many engines like these around in 10 years time, but the diesels will be, while the JTD is a cracking engine and makes for a fun drive its definitely not 'special'.. My next daily driver will be a 16v JTD I reckon.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Good thread........I'm possibly moving over to the 1.9 JTD from a 1.6 TS and i'm really nervous about it........a diesel Alfa in my household???????

My heart says stick with petrol but my 20,000 mile a year head says go for diesel........if only that engine was quieter!

:confused:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response guys,

It is a decision that I am really struggling to make even though I have a few mionths to thinkk about it. I will be looking for one on a 02/52 plate so it will have the facelift interior so it will not be much newer than my current one. I do have a few questions about the diesel's if anyone can help,

Is the JTDm a newer version of the JTD?

is the 2.4 avaliable in 10v and 20v and if so is there much difference?

Is the 2.4 nose heavy, and not much quicker than the 1.9 due to the size / weight of the engine?

finally why would I have the 1.9 over the 2.4?

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The M doesn't stands for Modificata and the changes from the JTD are emissions related.

The 2.4 10v is in the pre facelift cars and the 20v in the facelift. It has another 25 bhp and is another second quicker 0-60.

In a word yes!

If I was buying, I would still have the 2.4 over the 1.9, just for the little bit extra, however they are much harder to find in the facelift cars. I have the 2.4 10v 150 bhp and I love it, at the time I couldn't strech to a facelift car.(of course now the prices have plummeted!)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wont be able to strech to the facelift car either (I presume you mean exterior facelift rather than interior?) so it looks like it will be 10v for me then.

Although it is a heavy engine I am presuming that handling is still pretty good as I do like a spirited drive quite often?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Cool, like mine then. Yes the 150 bhp has the facelift interior and it's a very nice place to be. Handling is fine, the 2.4 is a heavy lump but then again so is the V6 and no one complains at the weight of that (before anyone starts, I know the JTD is slightly heavier) I too love a "spirited" drive and I have no handling problems. The Q2 diff can be fitted as well if needed! You will not regret buying the JTD. :)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Before I bought my previous car (156 2.4JTDm) I tested it back-to-back with a 2.0JTS. There really was no comparison and the biggest difference was the smile factor, which is surely what counts in an Alfa.

The difference between the 159 2.4 and the 2.2JTS is less pronounced, but I would still rather have the 2.4 - the power is simply more useable in day to day use. Also, in all honesty, I think the 5-pot 2.4 sounds better than the petrol motor under load.

The one advantage the 2.2 does have is in the handling department, as the front of the car is lighter. From my point of view though the 159 in any guise easily handles anything you should be doing on a public road.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I went from a 96 140bhp 1.8 TS 16V (155) to a 2004 115bhp 1.9 JTD 8V (156) and I don't regret the move. The 156 is a better 155 in almost everything but the trunk.

Even if I'm still adapting my driving style, in terms of torque the TS was a bit hollow below 3.5k rpm, whereas the JTD comes to life earlier. Pedal response is slightly less immediate, but it yields more punch.

I do regret the sonority of the TS on an evening drive, but to be honest the 155 was a bit noisy for my commuting taste. The 30% gas savings are great too!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so a 2.4 JTD is a good idea, I may not like the diesel driving style but who knows until you try?

My main issue is: I have a white 156 which I now know is pretty rare and I have grow to love so I will probably not get in a 2.4, I would like a black one with red leather though. Also I have had 6 months with triuble free motoring not one thing has gone wrong and it has been a dream to own. Lets just say I buy another Alfa that has problems I am going to regret this. The TS engine is supposed to be a liability so how is the diesel are they better? this is the only thing stopping me now. Why change my beloved Bella? am I making a mistake?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I got a JTD 156 (150 hp 1.9 16v) but i am wondering: You got a car with the color you like and it is flawless but still you wanna sell it only to change for the same car with a diesel.

I like my diesel a lot but if i was you i`d keep the car.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you are right, I do not think for the time being It would be a good Idea. When the time comes to upgrade the car then it is worth looking at but to but a car the same age with possibly higher mileage is probabky not a good idea.

Thanks for all the responses you have given me a good idea what I want next and that is what I will be saving for.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Yes, wait for something better than the same car with a diesel engine especially if you do only limited mileage...why buy an Alfa Romeo and have to listen to a tractor engine rattling under its "pretty" bonnet....sort of like a bloke in drag ;)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I went from a 2.0TS to a 2.4JTD this year ... and do I regret it ...??? well one thing you'll notice straight away is the handling, the 2.0TS handles pretty much perfectly, the JTD is VERY nose heavy (about an extra 140kg all at the front) so it will just understeer and understeer and understeer (and worse in the wet) ... there is no doubt that my remaped JTD is quicker ... it just doesn't feel it though ...

if you get a JTD budget for Koni FSDs and Q2 with the remap to make it a much better car ... although if you're looking to save money then I'd stick with the TS, you're going to pay a premium getting the JTD and the extra you'll spending getting it up to the same standard as the TS you might as well just pay the extra fuel duty (also Dave C has stated that he will "reduce the tax burden on family cars" ... which yours is ..)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts