Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up my 156ts a week ago. Timing belt was changed by previous owner 1200 miles ago. I had the cover open to investigate a "squeek", which turned out to be the aux belt tensioner. While I was in there, I checked the condition of the timing belt and noticed it was loose at 1 point.

I have never come across this before, but with it having so many pulleys, I wanted a second, third or fourth opinion.

I have the picture below to show the loose section. Whilst the rest of the belt feels sound, the red section highlighted has a little play in it, so much so that I can freely rotate the pulley wheel I have coloured red.

Any ideas.... as I dont know if the tensioner was done with the belt.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At its loosest point, I dont think 90degrees. Never thought to check till I was writing the post.
Does it seem normal to you?
I spent ages searching other posts and found loads on when to fit, but this is a recent belt.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get the covers off again tomorrow. wants to be just shy of 90 degrees in the longest span if i'm not mistaken.
I'm sure i will hear if thats wrong.

Cheers so far.:D

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Put a 19mm socket on the crank and tension the belt clockwise as if the engine were about to turn over. The sprung tensioner should take up the slack. Then the little indicator which moves behind the tensioner should line up with a circular mark just behind it. about 90 degrees is right though

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
The plastic tensioner that you have marked in red can collapse if the belt has been overtightened.

I would check to see if this is the case.

If not the moving tensioner has been set wrongly IMO.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The idler pulley that is circled, i would imagine to be fine as long as it's not sticking and have excess play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts