Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , apologies if this has come up before but whats the greatest mileage that has been documented between belt changes on a twinny.

My 166 judging by the paperwork was done at 40000 so at 67000 i'm thinking of getting it done this year as belts and braces or am i being paranoid? I am curious though if there has been any freak high mileages between belt changes.

Cheers

Cheers

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
The dear departed Smaky recorded over 110K miles on a 146 IIRC - a deliberate test to see what he could get - and as he said at the time as he could fit a replacement head himself he probably ended up well ahead financially as it only cost him a recon head and gasket set, and of course a timing belt kit, as opposed to at least 3 belt changes if he'd gone by the currently recommended change intervals.

Personally, as most of the cars I run are 10+ year-old, and effectively worth nothing, I operate on the bangernomics policy, and haven't changed a belt on my own cars for the last 12 years of running TS engines. Only had one let go.......

In all the engines I've seen that have let go, the majority have been caused by tensioner failure, causing the belt to strip, rather than belt failure per se.....so if the better tensioners were fitted at a previous belt change, I think you've got a good chance of beating the dreaded 36K limit......tho there are instances of them letting go earlier, I know. I'm less exercised about the age of a belt....but that's just me:lol:

But you make your own decision!

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Graylord the general opinion is every three years, you have a low milage 166 so I doubt it's been done in the last three years.

Make sure the water pump and tensioners have also been replaced.

If you're in Ormskirk in Lancashire, shop in Morrisons and drive a mint red 166 I saw your car last week :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Graylord the general opinion is every three years, you have a low milage 166 so I doubt it's been done in the last three years.

Make sure the water pump and tensioners have also been replaced.

If you're in Ormskirk in Lancashire, shop in Morrisons and drive a mint red 166 I saw your car last week :)

Unfortunately not me, i live in Darwen in a now less than immaculate 166 since the Mrs decided to reverse round a van with her passenger mirror closed :cry::mad:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dear departed Smaky recorded over 110K miles on a 146 IIRC - a deliberate test to see what he could get - and as he said at the time as he could fit a replacement head himself he probably ended up well ahead financially as it only cost him a recon head and gasket set, and of course a timing belt kit, as opposed to at least 3 belt changes if he'd gone by the currently recommended change intervals.

Personally, as most of the cars I run are 10+ year-old, and effectively worth nothing, I operate on the bangernomics policy, and haven't changed a belt on my own cars for the last 12 years of running TS engines. Only had one let go.......

In all the engines I've seen that have let go, the majority have been caused by tensioner failure, causing the belt to strip, rather than belt failure per se.....so if the better tensioners were fitted at a previous belt change, I think you've got a good chance of beating the dreaded 36K limit......tho there are instances of them letting go earlier, I know. I'm less exercised about the age of a belt....but that's just me:lol:

You know summat you're right a replacement car wouldn't cost a great deal more than a belt change hadn't really crossed my mind that .:thumbs:

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Unfortunately not me, i live in Darwen in a now less than immaculate 166 since the Mrs decided to reverse round a van with her passenger mirror closed :cry::mad:
How spooky is that, I work on the Altham industrial estate I might spot you on the 65 :)

I'll keep an eye out for a 166 with a hanging off mirror :lol:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
My 146 Ti was on 94000 when I sold it to a Polish guy. He texted me 24 hours later to say the belt had let go at speed on the autobahn. I was gutted and wished I hadn't sold it to him. I loved that car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've just been checking the history and the last time it was done was in 06 at 39333 miles so i might be pushing it .

It seems to have had plenty spent on it over the years 3 timing beltsin all all belts and stretcher at 20000,variator and timing belt at 30500 and the last one was everything but the water pump which is a concern.

Anyway off to Cruden Bay tomorrow so too late now to lose any sleep especially as i'll be following in that Citroen Visa Romahome much to everyones mirth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My car had close to 92,000 km on the clock when I bought it, belt had never been done... I've replaced it though, and the old one looked pretty sad...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Just adding to the debate.....36k or 3 years...which of these has more chance of failing ? Distance or time or is it irrelevant ?

Have any stats been done on this....or is it that they say an average driver does 12k each year.....therefore by my logic,a low annual mileage Alfa has less chance of failure ???

Or am i just talkin ballax ?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Belt failure has been done to death on here over the years. Everyone is paranoid about it because there are no hard and fast figures on how long they last. I think Alfa halving the change interval was a knee jerk reaction to a problem which was common but by no means universal to all cars. I'd rather run a properly fitted 5 year old belt with 40000 miles on it than a new one fitted by a Ford apprentice :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts