Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my 147 and 156 Lusso for repairs at an established "Indie" that included oil and filter changes. I supplied the oil and filters for both and was surprised to find on my last checks that both show an identical over-reading of what appears to be a significant amount above maximum.

At another "Indie" that I have used, the levels after oil and filter changes were always indicating "maximum" after changes. My own experiences of oil changes usually indicated on maximum or slightly above for just around 5 Litres of oil including oil filter.

I recall also being confused at track days where my 156 Sportpack dipstick sometimes indicated the need for topping-up and sometimes didn't at other circuits!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
There is no issue with dipstick accuracy. Obviously be aware that after a hot run and allowed to fully cool down, the oil reading will be higher than if the engine has just been run for a few seconds from cold and then checked. In the latter case, the thick oil has not been given a chance to return to the sump.

In this instance, as you supplied the engine oil, I can only speculate that for whatever reason, the oil was not left to drain for as long as you would like. I'm not suggesting anything has been done incorrectly. I think it begs the question just how long should engine oil be allowed to drain. Because I do it myself, I know I allow it to drain for much longer than most service centres could because when I do it, I ensure there are no time constraints. The manufacturer states 4.4 litres so anything above that suggest that it has been left to drain for quite a bit longer by a conscientious mechanic.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fruity that explains it! But I am still baffled why during some of the track days when I was checking the oil level including after leaving the car and letting it cool down for the hour lunch break it would still indicate maximum level? Even with a mystery oil leak and 200 mile round-trip and unadulterated use of high-revs for 80 -120 circuit laps the dipstick indicated "maximum" after an overnight rest the following day!?

·
Registered
37,747 Posts
I found the most accurate way to be to measure from cold. Then if both sides of the stick show different readings go with the lowest one.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Conversely, on track days go with the higher reading as the engine is hot/cooling?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts