Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Alfaworkshop (Alfa Romeo Servicing) recommends changing the cambelt on all 4cyl engines every 36k miles OR 3 years.

Now, I am considering buying a TS from a person who has had the cambelt changed 3 years ago and the car was very _little_ used during that time, think 5k miles during those 3 years. Should I expec to change the cambelt very soon ?

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I am trying to do... I really don't want to buy a car that requires an expensive service right off the bat.

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
The belt will deteriorate due to age, so it still needs changing.

Also a lower mileage car is likely to have had more short journeys and cold starts which is where the belt is loaded most heavily.

Running along a motorway at a fairly constant speed is easy on the belt (and other mechanicals)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This is one of those threads you post out there hoping everyone will say...Nah,it'll be alright for another couple of years yet.lol The answer never comes back good news does it :cheese: Id change it to mate

·
Registered
471 Posts
Interesting thread this one.

My car is 8 years old, I have owned it for 6 years and given it one cam belt change, bang on 36k about 4 years ago. It now has 43k on it and I was not planning to change the belt any time soon - yet I certainly don't consider myself to be scrimping on maintenance nor does my car get a hammering.

Maybe I ought to have a rethink - but Spiders are often low mileage summer vehicles - so every 3 years does seem a tad excessive on a low miler.

A wider poll of low mileage Spider/GTV owners will either confirm or change my opinion.

J

·
0 Posts
i would change it, there are so many horror stories about them letting go and the engine being useless

1 - 11 of 11 Posts