Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2.0 Twinny is suffering from a lot of Aux belt noise.

The car should have air con but the pump was removed prior to my owning it. The belt should be routed as per the red line in the attachments.
My belt, without the air con pump, is routed as per the yellow line.

Do you think that will put too much stress on the tensioner?

Does it matter thet one of the pulleys is rotating clockwise, when it was originally anti-clockwise?

Is there a shorter belt available for models without the air con.?

I am a bit nervous about the belts on this motor. Any Advice welcome. I do plan on fitting an air con pump at some point but would fel better if the belt was routed as per the original route.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
There is a shorter belt available for non aircon cars.

The belt should go as per red line around the alternator and PAS steering pump, then diagonally down to the crank pulley (no fixed black tensioer, then up over the moving tensioner and back down to the alternator pulley.

I'll try and draw if for you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is a non-air conn belt available which I presume is what is being used on yours, never seen one in the flesh tho. I can't see a problem with the idler going round the opposite way but I wouldn't think its a good idea for the tensioner to rotate the other way (not that yours is). What I can't understand is why yours routes differently over the tensioner and alternator, nor am I sure if its supposed to.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is a shorter belt available for non aircon cars.

The belt should route pretty much as per the yellow line, but non aircon cars do not have the fixed (black) tensioner. The belt goes directly from the crank pulley diagonally up to the power steering pump.

Or at least it did on my last non aircon TS car.

Well that would explain it, the aux belt will be too tight, take the idler out is the solution I guess.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My belt is way too long for that route, yet not long enough for the original.

Wonder where this belts from.....? Ah well. New belt in the morning.

Thanks for the replies fellas.:thumbs:

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
No problem mate.

The only 156's to be sold in the Uk without aircon were some 1.8 twinsparks so you need a belt for one of those.

One from an earlier aluminium engine cover TS car like a 155, 145 or GTV will have a different number of vee's. (7 as opposed to 6 on the 156).

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where else could you get that kinda information? And there was me thinking my product knowledge was good.!

Cheers Symon

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
The 156 used both 6 & 7 rib belts.
2.0TS, non A/C aux belts:
p/n 60617858 for a 7-rib
p/n 60662969 for a 6-rib

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Where else could you get that kinda information? And there was me thinking my product knowledge was good.!

Cheers Symon
I have been messing with TS cars for a few years. The 6 and 7 rib belt difference was found by accident.

As DavidC said though some non aircon 156's used 7 rib belts too, which I wasn't aware of. :)

Alfa keep changing things. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts