Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am not a frequent poster on this forum, more of a browser of other peoples posts, however this month its 3 years since i bought my Brera 3.2 Q4, its now nearly ten years old, only has 52k miles on it and I wanted to post a positive posting to show there are some good cars out there !

Prior to my Brera, I have had a fair selection of sporty cars, Vauxhall VX200 Turbo, Audi TT's, Clio 172, Nissan 200sx so a fair selection. I love the car - the styling, the V6 engine, the way it drives and the uniqueness of it - only ever seen about 3 in 3 years !

I bought my Brera for 7.5k after packing in my full time job back in April 2013 as my mileage was going to be reduced working for myself, since which I have had nothing but good to say about the car. Never had an Alfa and yes I've had the odd thing go wrong, in three years that amounts to 2 coilpacks, a battery and some failed parking sensors, all of which have been fixed and non of which were particularly expensive. even the economy is not the worst at 20mpg once you get used to it, and drive relatively few miles (around 5k a year).

I used to replace my car every year or two with a new one, but nowadays have left free cash which is how I luckily came across the Brera 3 years ago. However this year its ten years old and I was considering getting a another car of a similar ilk for around £15k. But when you look around for other second hand sporty coupes, none of them do i prefer to the Brera, including a Audi TTS, Renault Megane coupe Renaultsport, Nissan 370z, Vauxhall Astra VXR. The 10 year old Brera still compares well in terms of performance looks and I love the assured grip and handling from the 4 Wheel drive system, it always feels glued to the road and is great in Yorkshire with all the hills, rain and ice.

The cars probably only worth around 4-5k now, has cost me only about 1k a year in depreciation. and for a 5k car nothing else comes near to it. So instead of buying a 15k inferior replacement I am treating the Brera to getting the sills resprayed as the paint is peeling a little, I may get the wheels refurbished and treat it to some new Disks. If I could buy a newer 3.2 Brera I would, but the newest is probably only 2009 and they are Prodrives, which although look great, I would sorely miss the 4wd and the Sunroof, so its a no goer. Maybe a blessing in disguise because it allows me to my lovely Brera for a few more years, happy days !

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good story. The car may be worth more than you think, because of its rarity value. You'd be hard pressed to find a better looking car, though a guy around the corner has a 2006 SLK55 that looks and sounds sweet.

I love cruising in my 2.2 SV. It hasn't missed a beat in over two years or ownership.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Yep, makes sense to keep it Craig.
I've been thinking along similar lines for a good while.
Maybe I should have put a private plate on mine to disguise the age when I bought it 5 and a half years ago - it's a bit late now! I think that's the main reason in my head for considering getting something else.
There is no perfect replacement car out there for me. The latest restyled Cayman & Boxster do look good, but I don't really want to spend more than about £20k and that's nowhere near enough.
Also tempted with a Subaru BRZ, but for a modern car it's not particularly fast or good on fuel, and looks what it is - Japanese.
Others are Merc C Class & E Class coupes, Z4, TT & A5, but all lack the 'special' feeling you get with an Alfa.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lussoman, I did consider an Audi S5 which has the big engine 4.2 litre (pre 21012) and 4 wheel drive, its quite a big car though, so was undecided plus the bills would probably be even higher than the Brera I would imagine

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Lussoman, I did consider an Audi S5 which has the big engine 4.2 litre (pre 21012) and 4 wheel drive, its quite a big car though, so was undecided plus the bills would probably be even higher than the Brera I would imagine
Have looked at S5s myself, but it'd have to be a facelift, if I was changing cars I'd want something a lot newer.
They ditched the V8 with the facelift, and the V6 is still big money. Running costs on the V6 don't look too bad, but yes, the V8 could well be a money pit.
Agreed, it is a big car - an inch wider and nine inches longer than the Spider, and I thought the Spider was big.
I'd want something more nimble I think.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well I am not a frequent poster on this forum, more of a browser of other peoples posts, however this month its 3 years since i bought my Brera 3.2 Q4, its now nearly ten years old, only has 52k miles on it and I wanted to post a positive posting to show there are some good cars out there !

Prior to my Brera, I have had a fair selection of sporty cars, Vauxhall VX200 Turbo, Audi TT's, Clio 172, Nissan 200sx so a fair selection. I love the car - the styling, the V6 engine, the way it drives and the uniqueness of it - only ever seen about 3 in 3 years !

I bought my Brera for 7.5k after packing in my full time job back in April 2013 as my mileage was going to be reduced working for myself, since which I have had nothing but good to say about the car. Never had an Alfa and yes I've had the odd thing go wrong, in three years that amounts to 2 coilpacks, a battery and some failed parking sensors, all of which have been fixed and non of which were particularly expensive. even the economy is not the worst at 20mpg once you get used to it, and drive relatively few miles (around 5k a year).

I used to replace my car every year or two with a new one, but nowadays have left free cash which is how I luckily came across the Brera 3 years ago. However this year its ten years old and I was considering getting a another car of a similar ilk for around £15k. But when you look around for other second hand sporty coupes, none of them do i prefer to the Brera, including a Audi TTS, Renault Megane coupe Renaultsport, Nissan 370z, Vauxhall Astra VXR. The 10 year old Brera still compares well in terms of performance looks and I love the assured grip and handling from the 4 Wheel drive system, it always feels glued to the road and is great in Yorkshire with all the hills, rain and ice.

The cars probably only worth around 4-5k now, has cost me only about 1k a year in depreciation. and for a 5k car nothing else comes near to it. So instead of buying a 15k inferior replacement I am treating the Brera to getting the sills resprayed as the paint is peeling a little, I may get the wheels refurbished and treat it to some new Disks. If I could buy a newer 3.2 Brera I would, but the newest is probably only 2009 and they are Prodrives, which although look great, I would sorely miss the 4wd and the Sunroof, so its a no goer. Maybe a blessing in disguise because it allows me to my lovely Brera for a few more years, happy days !
Yeah I'm not sure why they ditched the Q4 for the pro drive cars, made no sense what so ever to go from RWD biased 4wd system to a fwd layout on an enthusiasts model

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I guess ditching the 4wd saved weight at the expense of traction and rwd handling does seem strange, normally performance cars add 4wd for their top range ones eg ford focus rs to reduce torque steer etc, not take away the 4wd system.

On the Audi S5 front the face lift one is 20k and over for one with lowish mileage so thats out the question. The Audi TTS is within budget, but having had 3 TT's before though Mk1 ones, I'm reluctant to get another one and it's no more powerful than the Brera anyway. So back to where i first started I guess - not that its a bad thing !

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Cheapest facelifted sub-50k mileage S5 I can see at the moment is £24.5k for a four year old.
The figures don't stack up for me.
Mind you, they look a bargain compared to a Lotus Elise with their incredibly slow depreciation. Supply & demand I guess.
I think you're right - stick with the Alfa!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Why is there a requirement to disguise a cars age? I've no idea what that means. I have always wondered why people have private plates, is this the reason?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
We went from both a GT V6 & Brera Q4 V6 to a GT86.

No regrets, it's fabulous & a worthy replacement. Shame Alfa can't produce something similar :(

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Why is there a requirement to disguise a cars age? I've no idea what that means. I have always wondered why people have private plates, is this the reason?
It depends on individual circumstances.
I run my own business and meet lots of clients and associates - an ancient car wouldn't give the right impression for me.
Ego as well of course.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts

No regrets, it's fabulous & a worthy replacement. Shame Alfa can't produce something similar :(

Looks like you've spent some time polishing that!
Nice choice of colour as well :thumbup:.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Nice looking car, but for me its quite different to the Brera, and could do with another 50bhp, 4wd and the Brera's gorgeous interior. The beauty about the Brera v6 to me is the low down torque and the lazy engine with plenty of power on tap right up the rev range. especially around where I live in Yorkshire with steep hills everywhere, most of which I can go up in a higher gear than a less torquey car, not changing down all the time then having to thrash it.

From the reviews I've read about the GT86 or BRZ it needs working hard at low revs and then is a bit thrashy at High revs with not much torque. Its a great car though built more for handling and chassis balance than ultimate performance from what I've read. I think the big engine Brera has spoilt me maybe when I do replace it I will end up getting the big V8 Audi S5

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I think the big engine Brera has spoilt me maybe when I do replace it I will end up getting the big V8 Audi S5
To use one of Squadrone Rosso's old catchphrases, ''there's no replacement for displacement'' :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Picking up a Brera later this week. Should never have sold my last one.. 2.2 JTS 08. Timing chain and gearbox problems have already been sorted along with various other bits and pieces. Only 53k on the clock. £5750.. You can get a lot of car for not much money if you go for a Brera. Not many people wanted one originally and now they are getting older it seems nothing has changed. Great if you're buying not so good if you're selling and I intend to keep this one long term..

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
That sounds like a great buy dc, fantastic value for money.
Welcome back to Alfa ownership! :thumbup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts