Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
We are intalling a TS into a '72 spider and are looking for a source for pistons & liners with a higher than stock (10/1) compression ratio. Our budget is for cast pistons, tho, not $$$ forged. Any where from 10.5/1 to 11/1 is what we need.

Thanks,
John (new member)

cars: D sports racer
ex: 2600 Sprint owner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to be dense, but I don't understand your reply?
Our Alfa 75 2.0 TS engine (AR06224) in going into a Alfa 115 '72 spider. Excluding $$$ forged pistons, we seem to be left with stock pistons (10:1 compression ratio) or possibly EBSpares' #00403400 pistons (AE/Borgo? but with no listed compression ratio??).
What is JTS you mentioned?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Sorry to be dense, but I don't understand your reply?
Our Alfa 75 2.0 TS engine (AR06224) in going into a Alfa 115 '72 spider. Excluding $$$ forged pistons, we seem to be left with stock pistons (10:1 compression ratio) or possibly EBSpares' #00403400 pistons (AE/Borgo? but with no listed compression ratio??).
What is JTS you mentioned?
As you are the states and might not know there is a later twinspark 16 valve engine. It has a Fiat cast iron block with Alfas own head fitted. It was fitted to the 145, 146, 156, GTV and Spider (plus others I suppose) The JTS engine came after the TS and has a different induction etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Twin_Spark_engine

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTS_engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I do know about the 16V, but not the JTS designation nor the Iron block was Fiat.
Now as to our TS 2.0 8V pistons - are you saying that we can use the JTS pistons and with the TS 8V rods?
John
BTW, I lived in Merston/Red Hill area for 6 mos in the '80s and passed through Croydon many times on the way up to London!

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
I've only the manuals for the TS so if you want the specs on the TS engine I can get those forwarded.

'Passed through Croydon' - probably the best course of action!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The bore and stroke of the alloy and cast block engines are different. They bear no relation to each other, and I'd be surprised if pistons are interchangeable. They also have dry liners on the Fiat based lump.

I have to make the point though, that if you are going to such a high compression ratio, obviously the car is modded, then forged pistons are a sensible option for reliability. Buy cheap, pay twice springs to mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts