Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and as a potential first-time Alfa owner, please accept my apologies for what may seem a daft question. The garage I have dealt with for a number of years sent me a picture of an Alfa Giuletta they had just taken in, with a view to tempting me to upgrade from my trusty Ford Focus (sshhh). So, they sent me a picture, and not knowing anything about Alfa's (sorry!) I thought it looked quite stunning in bright red. I went to test drive it yesterday, and was somewhat thrown to find that the actual colour was somewhat different from the original picture. It was more of a cherry red - I checked it was actually the same car! I have attached 3 images, 1 of the original picture, 2 I took on my 'phone, and the third is one I found on the internet which is as per the car I viewed. Please may I ask if the darker colour is actually Alfa Red, or did Alfa actually make a bright red as per picture 1 ? (I understand Alfa charge extra if you want red paint when you buy new).

Perhaps I could also ask your opinion on the selling price - It's an October 2012 Giuletta 2.0 JTDM Veloce 170bhp TCT with only 8,000 miles - £10,500.

Thank you very much. This is a bit of a step for me, so very much appreciate any time you can devote to a reply.

Regards

Doug G

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hmm, to me the color looks like the 8C tri coat red. It is quite a special red that is hard to photograph, and appears different depending on the way light reflects off its surface.

There is a more consistent red, which is is a not so pricey called Alfa Red.

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
In my opinion I think what you're looking at there is standard Alfa red

Here's a picture I took the other morning.... the far car is Alfa Red... the nearest is metallic red ... not to be confused with 8C red

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
In my opinion I think what you're looking at there is standard Alfa red

Here's a picture I took the other morning.... the far car is Alfa Red... the nearest is metallic red ... not to be confused with 8C red
Mine is Alfa Red and it's surprising how different it looks in different situations, in the garage(dark red), in the car park(mid red), on a photo(orangey red).

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
For a dealer price seems good, my sister bought a petrol 170hp 2012 with 20k on the clock for £11000 not long ago

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
So just to recap there are three possible reds Alfa Red (Solid) 8C Red (Tri coat metallic) & Metallic red (which is a bit darker). when you look at it, the paint code sticker is under the bonnet & it will tell you what it is.

Mine is ALFA red if that helps!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm looking to buy a car in what is called competizione red, it's a £1.5k option, are any of these pictures of that colour?

·
Registered
224 Posts
now I am really confused. my local Alfa dealer told me before I bought my GQV that it was a the special tricoat 8C metallic paint. How can I tell if this is correct. Is there a paint code somewhere I can check?

·
Registered
336 Posts
now I am really confused. my local Alfa dealer told me before I bought my GQV that it was a the special tricoat 8C metallic paint. How can I tell if this is correct. Is there a paint code somewhere I can check?
Hi Mazor,

the paint code is on the underside of the bonnet.

I think with the Giulietta the special red is called Competizione Rosso (I thought 8C was an older even more complex paint which had 3 separate tones in it?)

BTW paint code for Competizione seems to be 134B but you can google the Alfa paint codes.

Ben

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Mazor,

the paint code is on the underside of the bonnet.

I think with the Giulietta the special red is called Competizione Rosso (I thought 8C was an older even more complex paint which had 3 separate tones in it?)

BTW paint code for Competizione seems to be 134B but you can google the Alfa paint codes.

Ben

Just went to check under my bonnet and indeed my color is stated as Rosso Competizone 8C, color code VR 134 and not VR134B.

here is some pics of my GQV. Does it look like the tricoat to you?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well that's definitely the expensive paint job then!! ;)

I'm not sure whether the 'tri-coat' bit applies to Competizione.

I remember reading somewhere on here that the 8C and the Brera had the more complex paint, which was even more complicated to apply than the Comp. paint on the Giuietta.

I think one of the experts will have to help on that topic tho!

Ben

·
Registered
224 Posts
Goldmax, thought you had a GQV? It looks like you have the latest Veloce, which has the same mechanic specification as the out going GQV, but has the distinctive new honeycomb grill, and no chrome window trim. And oh, no QV logos on the car.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Goldmax, thought you had a GQV? It looks like you have the latest Veloce, which has the same mechanic specification as the out going GQV, but has the distinctive new honeycomb grill, and no chrome window trim. And oh, no QV logos on the car.
Yes its the new Veloce, what do you think?

The chrome looks good on yours but I think this black trim is also good, and the dark honeycomb grill is more menacing. The new model is a little more subtle when it comes to badges etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
new Veloce is nice! Like you said the new grill does look more aggressive, and the black window trims suits a more youthful genre.

Most of my mates have no idea of the QV heritage, and when they see the green 4 leaf clover they are perplexed to its purpose. Most think I am trying to be Irish.

I notice the Giulietta label on my rear is in stylised "hand written" connected font across the rear, on the Veloce, the Giulietta label smaller to one side and is easier to read.

I may mod my front grill to the new Veloce grill after the warranty runs out in 3 years...

It is good to see your Veloce still has the QV TCT darker 5 horse shoe rims.

·
Registered
339 Posts
new Veloce is nice! Like you said the new grill does look more aggressive, and the black window trims suits a more youthful genre.

Most of my mates have no idea of the QV heritage, and when they see the green 4 leaf clover they are perplexed to its purpose. Most think I am trying to be Irish.

I notice the Giulietta label on my rear is in stylised "hand written" connected font across the rear, on the Veloce, the Giulietta label smaller to one side and is easier to read.

I may mod my front grill to the new Veloce grill after the warranty runs out in 3 years...

It is good to see your Veloce still has the QV TCT darker 5 horse shoe rims.
Yes, I feel more youthful than my 48 years when driving it. :biglaugh: The wheels were the only extra I went for, I think they suit the car a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Well that's definitely the expensive paint job then!! ;)

I'm not sure whether the 'tri-coat' bit applies to Competizione.

I remember reading somewhere on here that the 8C and the Brera had the more complex paint, which was even more complicated to apply than the Comp. paint on the Giuietta.

I think one of the experts will have to help on that topic tho!

Ben
8C Red is Competizione Rosso and it is a 3 coat paint. On the 8C it was a hand painted option costing £25K. On the Giulietta it is a mass production option costing £2K.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Our Rosso Competizione Veloce, first one showing how the colour 'pops' in direct sunlight compared to the more 'subdued' appearance in the second and third shots, taken in shady/overcast conditions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts