Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a bypass today, which was having the little weeds cut next tot he barriers, so the 2 lanes were filtered into 1.

So at the 400 yard mark i put my foot down to overtake a lorry, and the turd decides he dosn't want anybody to pass him :rolleyes: i thaught he was just moving over a bit to look further ahead at the traffic, but he had full intensions of side swiping me!

This really pissed me off, so i pulled back in behind him, and he swerved to the left as if i was going to under take him, so as he did that, i took him on the outside. :thumbs: well proud of myself i was lol.

If they have a license to drive a heavy vehicle they should not use it as a weapon towards other road users, i took his number off his door and will be calling the company tommorrow.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
I nearly got wiped out yesterday in similar circumstances. I was overtaking a animal carrying lorry on a dual carriageway and got about car length in, and he decides to change lanes, no indication. I Slam brakes on, drop back, and undertake him with the horn on and finger up.

Didn't get the number like you did though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am always cautious when overtaking lorries, as this has happned to me a few times. Done trust 'em as far as i can throw them.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I know its wrong to generalise but..I HATE lorry drivers. Their key skill is driving - something I do to GET to my job, and, many cannot even do this right. I would have thought that if this is your skill, if this is what you offer to the world - you'd try to be expert at it.

I was once merrily going straight ahead over a roundabout in the outside lane when a lorry (minus trailer) sped up beside of me out of nowhere and travelled with me across the roundabout on the inside lane. Moments after leaving the roundabout, I looked in my wing mirror to see where it had gone when..BAM! It hits me and sends me crashing into a layby..under another parked lorry.

I see them all the time on their mobiles and I'm certain that that blind fecker was doing the same - how could he have missed me? I was in a bright orange MINI Convertible at the time.

Grrrrrrrrr:mad:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why did you put your foot down at the 400 yard mark...where you in a rush..?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm sure most of them are proficient at their jobs, but you will always get the occasional berk in a truck.......travelling on the M27 everyday I sometimes wish some of them would at least indicate before swerving from lane to lane in a manner more akin to a F1 car than a 40 foot artic.

The oft stated figure of 400+ folk splatted by lorries while on the hard shoulder each year is also very worrying....why on earth are that many lorries driving on the hard shoulder anyway?

Of course if you mention any of the above to a proper trucker you get the old "Knights of the road" routine with any blame focussed on the dual evils of other road users not in huge trucks and engine speed governors.

:lol: Talk of bodies in blankets really gets them enraged, best check your exit route first.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why did you put your foot down at the 400 yard mark...where you in a rush..?
I wasnt in a rush. But i thaught meh why not. It was more than safe to do so. It was approching a steep hill aswel and although he didnt have a trailer on he probable would have slowed down below the 50mph speed limit.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Right, I'm a lorry driver but firstly I will say that in every walk of life there are *****. Some drivers are good and some are bad, I like to think I am one of the better ones but I still cut people up from time to time, not on purpose but if they are dithering or dont indicate I go. When I'm on the dual carridgeway and there is a slip road joining I dont move over or let up unless its another lorry else you get stuck out in the fast lane. I'm sure your going to say "your one of the ones I hate blah blah blah" but you try driving an artic and see what you say then. Before your too quick to judge me though let me just say I do let people out of junctions when I'm sat in traffic etc, just try to keep traffic moving really. When I'm on single carridgeways with traffic behind me I move over to the left, give a couple of flashes on me winkicator when its clear to pass.

People try to squeeze to get round you at roundabouts so its all about not giving people the chance and closing the door on them before they try owt. A few weeks ago I was going through Boston and I was sat at a roundabout, when it was clear I moved off only too see some penis in a Range Rover had gone half up on the pavement and was at the side of me. I didnt see him until I pushed him up on the roundabout, was his own stupid fault but I only just missed him by half an inch! Stupid idiot just laughed so I flicked him off but I would have more than likely got the blame if I had had a smash, I was so close to stopping on the roundabout and battering him but not worth loosing my job over. Is it any wonder I get road rage? Another thing is roadworks, everyone wants to get infront of you god knows why because your only about 10 foot infront of me! You undertook this solo unit because you thought it would slow down because of the hill, thats fair enough and upto you but you do realise that the majority of the lorries have 420, 480, 500, 510 V8 upto about 600 bhp. Even a solo 420 bhp unit given the chance would pish all over your GT upto 55/60mph depending on where the limiter is set.

Every so often a lorry driver hating thread turns up, in our 11.4 litre cab we tow a 45 foot long trailer and weighs in at about 44 tonnes fully laden, upto 16 gears, takes alot of stopping, takes alot to wind it up and get rolling after stopping, blind spots not to mention trying to judge what some plebs are trying to do to get infront. I know you didnt do owt dangerous but just take into consideration the above. Spoke to another driver from another depo earlier, as car cut up a lorry and them braked hard, the lorry didnt stop in time and hit this woman in the rear which then pushed her car under the back of another lorry. She was killed out right, didnt stand a chance and he will get done over for it, not fair IMO.

Anyway I could go on but quite frankly I cant be bothered and after doing a 11 hour shift I'm going to sleep.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
:eek: I never thought I would see the day I would say this but.............

nice post Jim :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ok I just hate the bad lorry drivers that crash into me and talk on their mobiles. I like the good ones now sorry to offend it was an angry moment1 :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see where you are coming from jim, i always give lorrys a wide berth. But this guy knew what he was doing, he seen me in the outside lane and moved over to block me. The thing that annoyed me the most is him thinking that just because his vehicle was bigger than mine, he could decide on who was coming past him, i would have not affected him in the slightest. I dont think he would have done the same thing if he had been in a chiquento.

Although there was road works there wasnt much traffic, it was still fast moving, but i figured why be stuck behing a stinking lorry, when i could just overtake.

I mean what was going through his mind, to pull out on someone purposefully to stop them getting past.

The firm that he was working for were a bunch of dicks when i rang them up aswel. They wanted to know why i was over taking him when he was doing the speed limit. Excuse me if i'm wrong but that has nothhing to do with them, I could overtake him at whatever speed i like. I never did get a name of the firm, but i know that it is a recycling company.

If i see the same lorry again i will bne sure to cause him some hassle on the road. I would have let it go but as the pricks in the office were so joyful and not caring what their drivers are doing, i'm going to see how funny they find it when they are a lorry down.

Afterall if i had not been paying full attention ie. turning the radio over, he would have slammed me into the barrier at 50-60mph.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
When motorway and dual carriage ways filter down to one or 2 lanes, there is allways plenty of notice and it is really annoying when people continue on up the lane that is closing when other cars have pulled over. not quite sure what gives them the right to "push past" the cars that have obeyed the signs, just to try and push there way into the correct lane at the latest possible time.

Sometimes you will see a lorry driver pull out to the lane that is closing and match his speed to the lane that is open, in effect stopping the cars from "pushing past", the lorry will then pull back in at the latest point effectivly preventing all the road users that have been queueing in the correct lane from being delayed further than they need to be.

Well done the lorry driver:)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Right, I'm a lorry driver but firstly I will say that in every walk of life there are *****. You undertook this solo unit because you thought it would slow down because of the hill, thats fair enough and upto you but you do realise that the majority of the lorries have 420, 480, 500, 510 V8 upto about 600 bhp. Even a solo 420 bhp unit given the chance would pish all over your GT upto 55/60mph depending on where the limiter is set.
You forgot about the 2000lbsft Jim, they are the bad boys.
One of the reasons i miss my Magnum,600bhp and i will not mention how many lbsft:lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think you understand,
the lorry was in the inside lane, probable since he joined the bypass, i was in the outside lane, the lane then went down to one lane (the inside one)
400 yards is a long way, the traffic was still doing 50mph, so by the time i overtook him i would have still been pulling away from him as the next car was atleast another 500 yards away from him. Even if i was trying to pass him in heavy traffic, just to get ahead in the queue, he had no right to cut someone up when you know they are there at 50-60mph, if you agree that he done the right thing then you are just as bad!

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
How do you know he wasn't moving out to avid something in the road, when a tyre goes on a lorry it really ****ing goes. You shouldn't muck about with them, my Uncle clipped someone who went to overtake him as he was pulling into the middle lane sent them into the central reservation, but they started their overtake from so far up his *** that he never saw them (remember if you can;t see the mirrors on the cab, they can't see you). He never felt it either as was fully loaded so he got done for leaving the scene of an accident.

Court made him take a driving course, which he found funny because when he got there it was a course on how to drive cars, how ironic.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have read what GTA Jim has said and I sympathise with him. I will admit I have probably been guilty of a few of the things that he has mentioned.

However, I did have a very frightening experience a few years ago on the Easter weekend. My wife and I were heading back to the airport from Melbourne when I moved into the middle lane of a three lane highway to overtake a car. I saw that a truck behind me flashed its lights when I moved to overtake but he was some distance away (at least a 100 feet) and all of a sudden he overtook me on the left and slammed on his brakes. I swerved into the fast lane to avoid him and he did the same and came almost to a standstill.

I was driving a Ford Falcon hire car and, fortunately, the highway was empty being a public holiday and I managed to get around him on the left. He tried to swerve into my path but I had enough power to get past him. I was too busy taking evasive action to get the registration number of the vehicle.

I saw that the truck was an empty car transporter from a car hire company and when we got to the airport I went to complain. They gave me the number of the manager to speak to and I did get hold of him later in the week. He called me back to advise that they knew exactly who it was. I was advised that he had been dismissed for "anger management issues". It was a very frightening experience and it is even more frightening to think that there are truck drivers out there who are quite prepared to use their vehicles as weapons. My wife and I could quite easliy have been killed by this lunatic.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was in the outside lane, i could see his beady little eyes looking at me from his ginormous wing mirror. And when i pulled into the inside lane behind him, he drifted over the shoulder line as he thaught i was goint to somehow take him on the inside. He knew what he was doing. I had 2 passengers in the car, who both said what i was thinking as he puled out ' what a ****ing ******'.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is frightning chuckyb, its like they have no care if they kill you or not. The person in the back of my car made a loud inhale breath.:lol: as if she thaught we were either going to hit the barrier. hit the wheels of the lorry or a mixture of them both.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
When motorway and dual carriage ways filter down to one or 2 lanes, there is allways plenty of notice and it is really annoying when people continue on up the lane that is closing when other cars have pulled over. not quite sure what gives them the right to "push past" the cars that have obeyed the signs, just to try and push there way into the correct lane at the latest possible time.
I disagree.
If a lane is open but being closed a bit further on, or merges into one, then why not use both lanes?
It's a British thing - we love queuing. There are other countries (New Zealand is one that immediately springs to mind) that use their matrix signs to advise people to 'Merge in Turn'. That means everyone stays in their same lane and when reaching the merging point, you let one car in and move on, then the person behind you lets one car in and so on. It helps keep traffic flowing.

This is actually a new addition to the Highway Code as of 2007.
Institute of Advanced Motorists | IAM News | NEW HIGHWAY CODE COULD HELP CUT CONGESTION

Unfortunately, some drivers don't understand the concept of keeping traffic moving and think that the road belongs to them so block anyone attempting to merge.
These are usually the same drivers that beep and flash if you (God forbid) overtake them if they're dawdling along. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts