Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to add to the database...:

After doing some work to the bumper on my 145, the car cut-out after I took it off the axel stands to move it. On trying to restart it, the engine turned but would not take, and the CODE LED remained lit.
I immediatly suspected that the fuel cut-off under the passenger seat had been knocked and triggered as I had moved the seat while the car was on the stands, so I pressed the reset button and tried to start her again. She turned, but no take-up.
I checked the fuses under the steering wheel, all OK, and pushed down on the relays to ensure a snug fit. No luck.
I checked this forum, and found a few references to this problem which suggested that I disconnect the battery for 5 mins and connect the two power leads together. This failed to fix it, and so did leaving it overnight disconnected.

Next morning, I decided that the relays in the 'black box of bo**ix" (Ref: RicksAlfas wink ) May be the cause, so reseated all of them, but also noticed another bunch of fuses sitting there with the relays... then discovered that the Fuel Pump fuse was blown! Replaced this and after a slightly longer cranking session, she started up and began hunting as expected. (Hunting caused by the loss of the lookup tables in ECU, I understand).

So, I hope that this assists one or two AlfaOwners in the lifetime of their attention seeking Alfa Babies.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok... now I need help.
This happened me again last night. The engine cut out within 10 seconds of being started, the CODE light remained on, so I immediately checked the fuel pump fuse, and found it blown again.

So, any thoughts anyone? Do you think my fuel pump could be on the way out? It only happens just after starting the engine...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Try the relay first - it's cheaper!

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
A £12 genuine part from Alfa? I dont think so!
:D

There is a Maplin equivalent though, around £5 I think.
If you work out which one is the fuel pump relay let me know, as mine is a bit dodgy sometimes.

I have a spare in the car just in case, but my fuse hasn't blown yet.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why the relay? I just don't have a clue about the wiring diagram, so I'd be interested to hear your ideas...

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thoughts exactly...
I wouldn't say that there is 'too much power getting through from somewhere' though, more like the pump is drawing too much power for one reason or another...

The fuse was spec'd correctly, it's now a 15Amp instead of a 10 as I ran out... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Just wonering if the relay is switching on and off vey quickly if it could cause the fuse to blow? It was only a suggestion!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuel filter has 3k on it.
Dunno bout the relay though... I'll clean the contacts.

C

·
0 Posts
The other half's fiat uno turbo fuel pump also stop working just like that. When I removed the pump I found that the pump internals had shattered and jamming the pump which blow the fuse (when cleaning the pump found small black pin head lumps in pump inlet) hope this has been some help.
cowtipper

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have a cowtipper in out midst... eh? :p

That explains a lot... it's probably a Fiat part alright. laughing
To be honest, I held back one piece of information. When I first had the fuse fail, I heard a screaching from what I thought was a fan-belt at the time, but I now suspect it was the fuel pump having a moment.
I think it's on it's way out. Well it can just add itself to the end of the repair list, I have enough to do!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talking to a friend, who is bit of a BMW boffin, about this, he told me to put a cup of oil into the petrol tank when it's mostly empty. This will help to lubricate the workings of the fuel line.

Is he mad...? I see his point though!

C

·
0 Posts
I would not do that! As i was under the impression that the cat in the exhaust would **** up if to much oil got into it? I maybe wrong. Good luck anyway and let us no how u get on naughty

·
Registered
746 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by McGuinn:
he told me to put a cup of oil into the petrol tank when it's mostly empty. This will <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would not do this if i were you!!!
You're more likely to block the fuel
lines than clear them.
The higher viscosity of the oil will
pick up any C*ap,sediment etc in the bottom
of your fuel tank and suck them through
your fuel lines naughty

Also it might look like you were
driving a very badly maintained
diesel car for a while,due to
the amount of smoke you'd be
kicking out eek!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK... now it's happened again...

This time it was when I was pulling into the driveway after a long journey. Coincidence is that i just put some RON97 into the car for the first time today... could this affect it??? hardly!

So my other question is, I am under the impression that the fuel pump only comes on for the start-up of the engine, and then suction comes from the engine itself. Is that correct?

D

·
0 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> So my other question is, I am under the impression that the fuel pump only comes on for the start-up of the engine, and then suction comes from the engine itself. Is that correct? <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope the fuel pump works all the time.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Clutching at straws here...
Are the injectors clean? Maybe they are blocked and making the pump work harder.
Did you run the tank down / use an low turnover petrol station just before you first got the problem? (Thinking here about cr*p in teh fuel)
Was the tank right down when you put the 97RON in? It might have been the action of filling up rather than changing to 97RON that made the difference.
Did you have any fuelling problems before the first fuse blew?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi lads.
I ended up replacing the fuel pump last weekend. This fixed it. Turns out that the pump was pulling >10Amps when loaded/jolted. So the commutator was burned out. That cost me 130 euro second hand... robbin' baxterd.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts