Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thermostat fixed (more or less) and coolant topped up. Wanted to circulate new coolant by running motor for 10 mins. Tried to add a gallon of fuel from can but got confused by the petrol cap opening and started digging around in the boot pulled off the liner and check some relay connections 99.9% sure I didn't disturb anythiing but... Eventaully realised my mistake and opened the cap in the normal way and sloshed in the fuel.

Tried to start by nowt.. Engine turns over but the car that started on the button the week before just won't take, a millisecond thrum over a 10 start attempts that's all. It has started since the thermostat change.. So what now?

Check for spark? Could it be a duff sensor (crankshaft maybe). What would be a sensible troubleshooting procedure? I normally work on stuff with points and carbs..

Cheers

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
Yes I believe so, yellow one isn't it?
Ok then, is one of the relays in the boot for the fuel pump, can you get someone to turn on the ignition while you have your head in the back to see if you can hear the pump.
Perhaps pull out all the relays one by one and put them back.
It could be a worn/corroded connection pull them out and back in a few times.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok then, is one of the relays in the boot for the fuel pump, can you get someone to turn on the ignition while you have your head in the back to see if you can hear the pump.
Perhaps pull out all the relays one by one and put them back.
It could be a worn/corroded connection pull them out and back in a few times.
Thanks - I'll try that. I did stick my nose up the tail pipe after the start attempts and there was only a slight whiff of petrol...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - I'll try that. I did stick my nose up the tail pipe after the start attempts and there was only a slight whiff of petrol...
Only just had the opportunity to check out the pump sound. Roped my brother in and he can hear a relay clicking once, when I turn the ignition on but no pump clicking sound. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know where the pump is located but I have found the stack of relays behind the boot trim..

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts