Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little guidence on some Air Con issues im having. Im not getting any Cold Air, My first step was to get the system checked for leaks and recharged but it was perfectly fine. Ive checked all the fuses, ive been on Youtube to look at seized compressors but mine spins freely...... Can anyone guide me in the right direction as to anything else it could be?

Cheers guys!

(05 Alfa GT 1.9JTD)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Disconnect battery for 10mins and then reconnect, do not switch on ignition for at least 5 mins. This resets the flaps in the system.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Is the A/C compressor clutch engaging?
There should be an audible click when it does.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the A/C compressor clutch engaging?
There should be an audible click when it does.
Would i be listening for a click inside the cabin? If so i can hear noise coming from the glovebox area when i turn the climate on..... Or do i have to be on the outside near to the compressor?

Havent tried a reset, but once home ill give it a try out....

I change the pollen every year, so in this case it was october 12'

Thanks for replies fellows

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
You can hear the click from inside the cabin, but it comes from the A/C compressor itself........ if you can hear it above the clatter of a Diesel engine...:)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
No, cant say i hear any other sound at all... Apart from the glovebox area.... And the diesel rattle! :)
If you have FiatECUScan/MultiECUScan or AlfaDiag etc you can trigger the compressor clutch to make sure it is capable of working and also so you know what to listen out for.
Std unmodified cable as it is triggered from the Engine ECU.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent, i have the VAG cable so ill give that a go tonight. If i cant get it to engage does that make it a broken compressor or should i also try bypassing the relay? Ive just watched a youtube video that shows you how to bypass a relay with a paper clip.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update:

I plugged in FES but I could not get the compressor to execute a test... "Conditions not correct" was the message (or something like that). There were also no fault codes, so I decided to bypass the relay and this finally engaged the clutch, however there is still no cold air......?????? I'm lost for ideas....

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
How was your system recharged if the compressor wasn't working? Unless they didn't monitor the pressures before and after.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took it for an MOT, and asked the guy to recharge my AC as it wasnt getting cold anymore. He told me there were no leaks and the system was fine. He said that he had recharged it again but said he couldnt get the AC to come on.... Are you saying that it cant be recharged without the ac engaged?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Usually. Refilling a/c should usually be done by first extracting all the existing refrigerant - this will find any leaks in the system. It will also remove moisture as near-vacuum conditions will pull any water from the system. Then the proper amount of refrigerant is re-introduced, usually with the system running, so, yes, the compressor should have been running.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see, that gives me a headache now!

Am i right in thinking that unless the compressor was engaged there is no way of checking pressure and leaks??

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
When taking out the gas and oil you don't need anything running but the machine. The pressures should be checked when the machine is connected because it gives a good idea if there is a leak etc. Then a vacuum hold is done to bring up a leak in the system. Then once the oil and refrigerant is put back in, the ac is turned on to make sure it works and to monitor the pressures. There are other systems which might be done differently but you would still need to use the ac system at some point

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think thats what he said he did, but at the end of the process the ac wouldnt come on (obviously it hadnt been working when it went in, but neither of us checked first).

Looks like im gonna need to spend some money on this to find the cause....... Not looking fwd to this weeks warm weather!!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If there is too much pressure in the system it won't come on either.

Is this recent as the aircon won't turn on if the outside temp is below 5 degrees (or somewhere close to that - can't remember exactly)?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So EVEN if the clutch is engaged low/high pressure will stop it working? If so is it a case of getting the garage to correctly set the pressure?

Regarding the temp, it doesnt cool even when it is roasting hot, just sends outside temp air into the cabin...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
No - it won't engage the clutch if the pressure is too high or too low. For protection of the compressor itself because the lubricant is carried by the refridgerant so if it all leaks out and the compressor kept running it would sieze very quickly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts