Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Troubles Starting

388 14
I have a 2008 147 T-Spark and it will not start. The engine will turnover but nothing more happens. I see the Distance to Service warning but no other messages. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start troubleshooting the issue?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30,560 Posts
I will have to check that....not sure what that sounds like...not very familiar with the car since I bought it used less than a year ago and the manual is in Italian.
The Petrol tank is under the back seat.
When you turn the ignition on, you should hear the pump run to build pressure in the system.
It will be a faint buzzing sound.

If there is no sound, try resetting the inertia fuel cut-off, which I think is at the bottom of the A-pillar on a 147.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK found it on another post - anything else I should check? I plan on disconnecting the battery to check and clean the fuses in the black box on top and checking the other fuse box as well.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I know I am sounding like a broken record but I suggest you have a diagnostic scan carried out on the car, it may save you hours in tracking down the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well - I checked the fuel pump and the inertia switch both seem to be functioning - all the fuses are good and there are no warning messages or dash lights. And she still won’t start.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
If fusible links are good, checking the fuel pump as per David C's suggestion would be a decent next step. When the ignition is switched on, the fuel pump runs for 2-3 seconds. If you cannot hear that, remove the engine cover and disconnect the plastic fuel line which is on the top of the inlet manifold. Squeeze the 2 lugs together to disconnect it. Use a hose and a small container to collect fuel when the ignition is switched on. Petrol should be clear and smell strongly. A yellow tinge means it may have diesel in it instead of petrol/gasoline.

If the engine oil cap is removed, the camshaft below it is visible. Does this turn when the engine is cranked by starter motor?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts