Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been an alfa owner for a few months now and it is really testing me lol.
The car was running fine (only prob was sticky windows) and I hit a bump and knocked the exhaust into the sump and dumped its oil, my own fault. Repaired the sump and built it back together and it was running fine, just felt a little low on power for a few days until the problem started. As I approached a junction it started to stall and as I set off it stalled and would fire back up, it was just turning over, sounded like no compression.
As I was towing it home I jumped it and it started back up. But it wasn't really revving and felt restricted. I presumed it was a broken cat blocking the exhaust from the sump episode.
Checked the whole exhaust and it is fine. Now it won't start again.
There are no codes logged aswell. I left it a few days and came to start it and fired up straight away. But as you reved it it felt restricted and then stalled. Guess what. It won't fire up again.
Just turns over and sounds like no compression. Tried a new crank sensor and tried easy start and makes no difference. Also the milage is flashing which makes me think dodgy wiring.
If anyone can help it would be appreciated as I'm at a dead end.
This is a 2.0 147 lusso

·
Registered
214 Posts
mileage flashing would indicate it needs a proxi realignment, because the 147 has a canbus system anything you may replace flashes the mileage, but i cant explain why it cuts out, i know the mileage flashing shouldnt have anything to stop the car working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically stopped as soon as I did it, there won't be any damage due to lack of oil. I think this must be some sort of electrical/ firing prob. Surely it would fire/run if it had a good dose of easy start, it didn't even cough

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend had a look at the car and said there's very little compression and its poss it has skipped a tooth which is opening the exhaust open too soon causing no compression, he thinks it could be due to the variator failing.
Has anyone else had a similar situation. Not sure wether to repair. If I go to the effort of new variator and timing belt and then find its done damage I will be sick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts