Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two mates and I are getting the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin a week tomorrow, spending two days in Dublin and then driving down to County Kerry on the South Western coast to spend the remainder of the week. We're then driving all the way back for the ferry from Dublin on the Friday.

Of course we're going in the 159 :D There was no way I was going to be driven around in either a Golf or a Focus for the week!

Just wondered if anybody had any tips about driving in Ireland? Anything I need to be wary of? Also tips on good bars in Dublin would be much appreciated :thumbs:

Cheers,
Toby

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
It's a great place, i spent 6 years in Galway, nothing wrong with a drive round the coast, get to Dublin, turn left and follow it all the way round....:cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
The roads out in the country can be pretty slow, but the major trunk routes have often got a kind of hard shoulder and the slow guys are pretty good at pulling over onto to it to let you past.

It depends what kind of bar you are after. In Dublin avoid the pubs in Temple Bar unless you fancy paying 7 euros a pint along with the other tourists. McDades in the city centre is a traditional bar which does a good pint, although that won't be cheap either. I would ask the locals where to go.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just wondered if anybody had any tips about driving in Ireland? Anything I need to be wary of? Also tips on good bars in Dublin would be much appreciated :thumbs:
Avoid Temple Bar like the plague. I suppose no trip to Dublin would be complete without a pint in the oldest pub there: The Brazen Head. As well as McDaids mentioned above I also have a soft spot for Nearys and Sheehans on Chatham Street - could be because I worked on Chatham Street for four years and spent many happy hours hiding from my employer in these various venues. Davy Byrnes on Anne Street is quirky and amusing - and if you are a Ulysses scholar it's a must visit. Actually just go into pubs and buy drink - you can't go far wrong.

As for the roads. Well be prepared for pot-holes and bumps. Shocking lane discipline (or rather, no lane discipline) on motorways. Free road tolls because they use number plate recognition and expect you to phone within 24 hours (like the London CC) but somehow I always forget. Quite rude driving; not intentionally rude but because traffic is a relatively new phenomenon over there people still take their right of way regardless. If you are waiting on a side road to join a busy main road you will be left waiting.

Get out of Dublin and enjoy the countryside. 40 minutes south of the city it's possible to find deserted back roads in Wicklow where you might come across two or three cars in an hour's driving. These are narrow twisty bumpy blind-cornered demanding roads. Even with no traffic you will be lucky to average 30 mph.

Get over to the West - that's where the best scenery is.

Bring rain gear.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Not all motorways are paid later type ones. Many are pay now, they cost more or less around 2e per motorway.
Agreed that the west and the south-west has the best driving roads. If you have time then the Ring of Kerry is just perfection and if you have good weather :rolleyes: then the scenery is breathtaking.
I would have to disagree with the lack of discipline on the roads, although we do have quite a few slow drivers the majority are disciplined. They will move out of your way and lane hogging isnt an occasional experience.

traffic is a relatively new phenomenon over there
Its 2011 not 1981 :rolleyes: :lol:

You should be careful of those systems where they just photograph your number plate on motorways (the M50 is the one without tolls) I think I read that under EU law, all foreign cars breaking local laws will have the fine sent to them. Already happened to me in Austria - received a fine from 2 years ago recently with a 160e fine :mad:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Its 2011 not 1981 :rolleyes: :lol:
Actually I've seen a massive reduction in traffic since the Celtic tiger has had its claws pulled. A couple of weeks ago I drove from my brother's place in the boring 'burbs of Dublin right into the centre, in minutes, found a choice of parking on Ormond Quay right where I needed to be, and parked for a couple of hours for EUR €1.40. Try doing that in London!

A few years ago I found Dublin traffic to be worse than London's.

PS: I'm still waiting to hear from eflow :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
While trying desperately to michaelb's completely inaccurate description of driving in Ireland I will agree with most of what he said about pubs in Dublin. Although the Brazen head is a tourist trap, head to the Gravity Bar in the Guinness hops store. Great tour, best views of Dublin and a free pint. As for the other pubs mentioned, all good spots.
With regards to tolls, there are a number of tolls on some of the main intercity motorways but there is also a barrier free toll on the M50 between junction 3 & 4. While our motorway driving could do with improving, as could some of the UKs, is getting better and traffic has reduced a fair bit.
As wayne-dear said you could do a lot worse than turning left of the ferry in Dublin and heading south along the coast. One place I'd definitely visit is the Beara peninsula, a lot less touristy than the ring of Kerry and a lot more wild. But the ring of Kerry is great as well especially if you get the weather, the sun does shine once and a while here.
You could also just head west on the M4/M6, 2 hours will get you to Galway. From there you can go north into Mayo or my favourite south to Clare and Connemara.
Anyway it's not a bad place overall and all are welcome, hope you have a great time.

Donal

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
While trying desperately to michaelb's completely inaccurate description of driving in Ireland
Obviously didnt have a good experience whilst here but hey-ho.
Completely agree with Donal there, You cant go wrong wherever you choose to go, just hope the weather wont be shite but the hurricane tail is making sure no one has a good time at the moment :rolleyes:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh dear. Sorry guys I've obviously touched a nerve - I didn't mean to. Okay I admit the word "rude" was a bit provocative. Let me try rephrasing it; I should have said "unthinking".

But I still stand by my observation. I was born in the Rotunda, grew up in and learned to drive in Dublin so I have been there once or twice :)

I think maybe you need to drive in London to understand my point. London driving can be assertive and aggressive for sure but there is a certain 'live and let live' attitude here which is missing in Dublin. Trying to drive off my brother's driveway is a chore because there is a set of traffic lights nearby with its attendant queue; no one in that queue ever wants to let you out. "I've got the right-of-way and I'm taking it" is the prevailing attitude. That wouldn't happen in London. When you pull up to a queue like that you can expect if not the first then the second car will let you out.

A story: One of my Dublin friends is unlucky enough to have a Quality Bus Corridor (Oxymoron) in front of his house. He can't get anyone to let him off his drive and into the waiting queue so he used to turn into the bus lane. Until he was done. When he explained the problem to the young Garda he was told he should block the bus lane until someone lets him in. This is what he now does but people still don't let him in without a fight so every morning he's forced into causing his own little traffic jam.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Forgot to say that if you have time then pop over to Donegal - Absolutely stunning up there and quite underrated as an area of Ireland

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers again for all the comments guys. Had a great time. Ireland is a beautiful country.

Unfortunately I managed to reverse my 159 into a pillar in a multi-storey car park on the last day!!! Feel like such an idiot and it kind of spoilt the holiday to be honest because I was (and still am) in a terrible mood afterwards!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it.

Sorry to hear about your reversing incident. If it's any consolation I think we've all done it; I reversed my, new to me, 164 into a column in Kenmare.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Glad you liked, shame about the prang.

Many of the multi-stories are ridiculous here though. easy to kerb wheels, or slightly scuff the front bumper :(

Was just so busy in the last while - would have loved a meet up.. Very interested to see how the 1750TBi works in a 159 - AR Ireland still won't bloody well import it....

·
Super Moderator
85,946 Posts
Cheers again for all the comments guys. Had a great time. Ireland is a beautiful country.

Unfortunately I managed to reverse my 159 into a pillar in a multi-storey car park on the last day!!! Feel like such an idiot and it kind of spoilt the holiday to be honest because I was (and still am) in a terrible mood afterwards!

Good to hear you enjoyed your holiday :thumbs: Maybe Failte Ireland will give you some vouchers for spreading the good word :D

Hope you get the Ti sorted without too much problems.

Very interested to see how the 1750TBi works in a 159 - AR Ireland still won't bloody well import it....
It's on the current price list Rik http://www.alfaromeo.ie/ie/cmsen/documents/pricelist2011-june.pdf ;)

Though if there aren't any in stock ( I've never seen any 159s in Ringaskiddy ) you aren't going to be able to get one as RHD production of the 159 has now ceased AFAIK :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts