Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone knows the issue with my trip meter and can advise me as to how to clear it up.

Whenever I turn the ignition off the trip meter resets back to zero and then counts normally until I get to where I am going and turn the ignition off again. :confused:

It's not a big deal as the fuel guage and light function normally but it is still annoying all the same.

any ideas greatly received.

RR

·
Registered
43 Posts
I once had the same problem and the cause was that the battery voltage was to low.
A low voltage will cause the trip meter to reset.
I replaced the battery and the problem was gone.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
If your battery is fine, then it will be the mileage trip reset switch which is at fault. The switch has shorted to earth thus resetting your trip mileage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the responses.
The battery is only a couple of years old and no problem turning over from cold so don't believe the battery to be faulty.

Stixy, I assume you mean the button on the dash is shorting to earth? Do you know if this is a separate switch that can be ordered or is it part of a bigger piece of the dash. I not had the dash apart so am a little concerned that the switch should suddenly decide to short to earth, also it it was doing this would it then not work normally during driving if it was shorted to earth, would it not stick on 0.0 miles?

sorry for the dumb questions just trying to understand a little more before I go delving into the dash's internals.

RR

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Check the fuse for your interior light, for some reason it's powered from that, how do I know this, just ask me I swapped the fuse to power my brake lights and found my trip milage resetting everytime I turned off the ignition.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the responses.
The battery is only a couple of years old and no problem turning over from cold so don't believe the battery to be faulty.

Stixy, I assume you mean the button on the dash is shorting to earth? Do you know if this is a separate switch that can be ordered or is it part of a bigger piece of the dash. I not had the dash apart so am a little concerned that the switch should suddenly decide to short to earth, also it it was doing this would it then not work normally during driving if it was shorted to earth, would it not stick on 0.0 miles?

sorry for the dumb questions just trying to understand a little more before I go delving into the dash's internals.

RR
Try the guys at Autolusso for a switch. The switch can be replaced on it's own, you need to remove the plastic bezel first. The switch can fail internally. The milage won't stay at 0.0miles due to it only needs a pulse for it to reset, pressing the button clears the Non Volatile Memory of the mileage memory chip located on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
I'd really check the fuses first though, don't go buying switches incase it's just a fuse!
Yeah as NineOneSix says, check all your fuses first. :thumbs:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers guys, I will look at the fuses but am also aware that the interior light is working normally but will check tham all the same.
But knowing Alfa it probably is located somewhere obscure away from the main fuse box :confused:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I thought it was a feature.
I used to reset the trip meter after every fuelling. I figured out that if I press the buttn once it will reset every journey, but press it a second time and it will carry on counting.
This was on a Y reg 2001 GTV, don't have it anymore

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tarnish, are you serious????? I am going to check all the fuse boxes I find tonight but will also try this but cannot believe there is this functionality.
I'm just off to check my calendar doesn't say April 1st :lol:
Will let you know what I find
RR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts