Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What kind of tricks are there to get Sud doors off.

Sure lots of people know.

I need to get both my front guards off...Removed all the fixing screws(dodging a mean redback spider) except the ones in the door arch. And when I checked the hinges to nock the "pins" out of the doors... the hinges were hollow... my punch went straight through... I am a novice at this procedure... The Haynes manual I have doesnt much detail!!

Without help Im sure to make matters worse!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey...Matt....

and gRAHAM TOO..

Thanks for those wheels... what a full car load... 9 in total/...
as for the doors.... dont need new dooors... just want to get the front guards offf... so if anyone has advice????

Dick

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
you will find that the door pins are hollow

you need to get a punch that fits snugly into the hole in the door or hinge because the "wall" thickness of the pins is only a couple of mill

when i took the doors of my old sud i had a right job as the pins had seized in :mad:

hope you understand what i mean and hope you get it sorted without too much trouble laughing laughing

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey speedy gonzalis

Did you bang the bottom pin upwards or downwards.... there doesnt seem to be very good access to crack this one???

thanx

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Dick,

Just one small point- you don't need to remove the doors to get the front guards off...

I have removed Sud front guards several times without removing the doors, from memory there is one bolt that passes through from inside the car (behind the carpet) which needs to be removed, otherwise it isn't too hard, you can get the bolts off without removing the door.

Hope this helps wink

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Rich ,

Gotta get that sud going to many rear drivers at the supersprint(yes i took the 75 after 2 hours of tryng to get the oil filter out & yes it finally happened) on the weekend.

i Reckon we need to be doing a 1.29 of oran park

buy the way a WRX hit a wall at about 140 on his warm up lap, not good, and thank god i didn't scrutineer that one

and Damon, no bagging out of CAMS officials, i'm nice, i only knock back hondas and commodores

·
Registered
335 Posts
Who, me... bagging Cams???

Don't think so. I do my share of flagging and start line duties.

As I only go to AROCA events I almost always end up helping out.. unfortunately the new CAMS regulations will probably mean that unless we all train and become qualified officials there won't be any events at all.....

So was the rex driver ok? Did anything fall off causing the crash or was it a simple case of Testosterone overdose which appears relatively common among WRX 'pilots'

I shudder to think what was left of the car after an accident of that size, after seeing a drunk driver demolish his VP Crumpledore outside my neighbours place on Saturday morning. He punched an AU Falcon and trailer 10 metres down the road... Make sure you keep them off the track when we are around!
:D

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I reckon the easiest way to remove them could well be simply opening them and drive by a lamppost at great speed in reverse?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill consider reversing into my garage with both doors open.

You know if you mix 1 part iron oxide (rust) with one part fine aluminium filings, and light it with magnesium ribbon.....
Thermite as it is called can burn through a bonnet, and probably a block too.

How to turn a SUD into a terrorist device!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah Damon the rex driver was apparently OK,

he had a case of the red mist i think,

the car was about 35 cm narrower than when it started, the rex guys didn't appreciate my offer of a thousand bucks for the wreck ( i thought i was being generous)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yEAH... Matt... the SUD is comming along well... if only I had a digital camera to show you. Just having a few days off after a good bit of fibre glassing. Came up well. I think I have nailed all the rust.Used a litre of GALMET IRONIZE.
Ive been driving it around the carpark that is my back yard(come round for a race some time.....not...its first and secong gear only). The engine seems to have no problems.... But is single carb. Wanna give me your race engine???
After having the big black bumpers off I have decided to go with the chrome ones off the older cars. I like the contours of the body. looks sportier.
Hope to regester it in next three months.... depends on money. Bit spoiled having two regestered cars.... and one more in the garage.
Still got a 1984 QV (silver)to do next.

What was the name of that inlet manifold I was talking to you about. The nice one that goes on the single carb engine block. Like to post this as a topic and find out more.... Think working the current engine could be a serious idea???? Then I can use the carbies off the silver QV and totaly replace that engine later with a true 105 hp.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi all,i took my doors off by removing the 3 bolts in each hinge,it was very easy.
alan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts