Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather the best it has been in a year the Spider has decided to sulk and let all the electricity leak out of the battery. Finding the cause is going to be a pain but at the moment I cannot move it anyway.

Question - Is it safe to trickle charge the car overnight without disconnecting the battery?

You know what a pain the job is!

:cry:

R

·
0 Posts
I've done it several times without incident. Chances are you will only be delaying the inevitable though and will need a new battery.

Incidently, I wouldn't get one from Alfa. The mail order alternatives nearly all have a higher specification, 4-5 year warrenty and are as cheap or cheaper.

·
Registered
37,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's the rub - it was replaced in December for a new unit with a 3 year warranty - so something must have been left on to run it down. Do you think it will be OK to hold the charge if the fault does not re-occur?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have also trickled charged my battery overnight without a problem. But in my case its as a result of the car not being used much during the winter. If you are using the car more or less daily and it's still letting go of its charge, trickle it overnight and get into an yr garage the following day. Suggest you carry some jump leads with you as well, just in case.

R

·
0 Posts
There's the rub - it was replaced in December for a new unit with a 3 year warranty - so something must have been left on to run it down. Do you think it will be OK to hold the charge if the fault does not re-occur?
It will be absolutely fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Charging the battery

I leave the battery on my spider on a small trickle charger all the time it isn't being used and haven't had any problems. It sometimes stands for several weeks between runs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I took my battery out today and put it on trickle charge, I was worried to leave it in there. I just had a look though and the charger says the battery is still dead flat :confused: its been on there for about 10hrs. Its only about a year old. I will check again in the morning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
*** next morning now ***
Yep still flat! I had the car sitting there for 4 weeks and with a few amps, TVs , subs and capacitors I think the Caps might have drained the battery. I will try get a new one today.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
If it is flat, a small trickle charger will take a very long time to charge it.

My 10A charger takes a full day to charge my battery...

So if it is flat and you want to charge it up: get a bigger charger!!

And I always remove the battery to charge.

W

·
0 Posts
As David C says: always remove the battery for charging, unless using a battery 'conditioner' specifically designed to be used on the car for long periods of inactivity. Trickle charging from a battery 'charger' is better for the battery than a fast aggressive charge, but will take many hours to charge a dead battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
battery conditioner and management charger

I always use a battery conditioner and management charger, they are very good for keeping the battery in top condition £50 but well worth it. and you don't have to disconnect from car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts