Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just written out a cheque to the above for £65 by way of apologising for entering and stopping in a box junction (I had to look it up - it is the yellow hatches used in junctions to stop you from blocking traffic).

I remember crossing the lights with the traffic moving (relatively) freely. A car several ahead of me tried to filter from the right hand lane to the left, bringing us all to an unexpected halt. I was in the middle of a group of about 5 cars which were stopped for a few seconds on the hatches but we all cleared them easily before the lights turned red. The image that came with the notice fortunately shows the green light, but there is no denying that I was stationary for a few moments. I was confident that I would not have to stop on the hatches before I set off from the lights; I just hadn't expected the car to push in ahead.

I know I am at fault (hence the cheque) but I have also appealed politely. Last time I had to do something like this, the DVLA (bless them) took pity and sent my cheque back. What do you think my chances are this time? :)

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I've just written out a cheque to the above for £65 by way of apologising for entering and stopping in a box junction (I had to look it up - it is the yellow hatches used in junctions to stop you from blocking traffic).

I remember crossing the lights with the traffic moving (relatively) freely. A car several ahead of me tried to filter from the right hand lane to the left, bringing us all to an unexpected halt. I was in the middle of a group of about 5 cars which were stopped for a few seconds on the hatches but we all cleared them easily before the lights turned red. The image that came with the notice fortunately shows the green light, but there is no denying that I was stationary for a few moments. I was confident that I would not have to stop on the hatches before I set off from the lights; I just hadn't expected the car to push in ahead.

I know I am at fault (hence the cheque) but I have also appealed politely. Last time I had to do something like this, the DVLA (bless them) took pity and sent my cheque back. What do you think my chances are this time? :)

with TFL? -zilch.
I would tell you of my run-in with them but it would be bad for my blood-pressure:)

I think the box junction infraction rule is 10 secs stationary on the yellow grid; you're not supposed to enter until your exit is clear.

L

·
0 Posts
Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

Basically you should only cross if there is clear space across the junction to go into, I assume that you had brake lights showing for them to want to fine you so I don't fancy your chances but worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the box junction infraction rule is 10 secs stationary on the yellow grid; you're not supposed to enter until your exit is clear.
I didn't know that, thanks. It can't have been more 10 seconds.

Basically you should only cross if there is clear space across the junction to go into, I assume that you had brake lights showing for them to want to fine you so I don't fancy your chances but worth a shot.
Yep, brake lights glowing like a '70s disco! Banged to rights I guess.

Mind you I have never paused in front of a box junction (or ever seen anyone else do so) when the traffic is flowing smoothly. Surely that would just slow everything down if we waited one at a time to cross?

L

·
0 Posts
I didn't know that, thanks. It can't have been more 10 seconds.

Yep, brake lights glowing like a '70s disco! Banged to rights I guess.

Mind you I have never paused in front of a box junction (or ever seen anyone else do so) when the traffic is flowing smoothly. Surely that would just slow everything down if we waited one at a time to cross?
I have never heard of the 10 second rule and doubt it exists as the DSA would never allow anything that precise from experience (ex instructor), your right it would slow you down and city traffic would be even worse. Really you got shafted by some idiot who either was trying to queue jump or can't read signs.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with TFL? -zilch.
:lol: Good call.

They reviewed the video and found that I was stationary for 7 seconds. It wasn't relevant why I was stationary, that the lights were green throughout or that no other traffic was delayed. I didn't expect that it would be but it was worth a shot and at least they have had to do some work for their money!

P

·
0 Posts
:lol: Good call.

They reviewed the video and found that I was stationary for 7 seconds. It wasn't relevant why I was stationary, that the lights were green throughout or that no other traffic was delayed. I didn't expect that it would be but it was worth a shot and at least they have had to do some work for their money!
Well have you got off it. I thought that if you were stationary for 10 secs, or longer you are in the wrong. If you were stationary for 7 secs. surely you get your loot back. :confused:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, they cashed the cheque. I shouldn't have moved into the hatched area until it was clear so I never had a (legal) leg to stand on. I just took a punt that someone would show a bit of discretion given the circumstances.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Well have you got off it. I thought that if you were stationary for 10 secs, or longer you are in the wrong. If you were stationary for 7 secs. surely you get your loot back. :confused:
Obviously PSVKRIS was right and I wrong about the (non existent) '10 second rule" :eek:

Sorry, I made this assumption as a pal of mine got a similar ticket stating he'd been stationary for 10 seconds, which I wrongly took to mean that it was the 10 sec period which triggered the 'offence'.

Sorry to have been right and wrong in the wrong order Rewe:( :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
TFL are just a bunch of money grabbers. I got 'done' for driving in an alleged bus lane which wasn't even marked. Apparently it's a spot where lots of motorists have been done and is an excellent money spinner for them. The rule at the time was either accept the fine and pay, or don't pay it but challenge it. Sending a cheque would have meant I couldn't challenge it. I tried challenging it and they simply increased the fine to £100. They are a law unto themselves and I sincerely hope that they get into serious legal difficulties at some point in the future and are forced to refund 1000's of unfair fines.

E

·
0 Posts
So is the reason that bus fares are so expensive because TFL keep fining themselves for the buses stopping in box junctions :confused:

Because if I had just £1 for every time I have seen the junction of Shaftsbury avenue / Charing Cross road shafted (pun intended) by a bus entering the junction when it wasn't clear, I would be able to retire! Not to mention the number of times they block pedestrian crossings.

Oh and don't get me started on London cabbies, they seem to all be colour blind these days and just see green lights all the time :mad:

There's a lot I like about London, but transport and traffic are awful.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Regret the best is yet to come with the Olympics as many roads are being declared Olympic Highways. There will be many temporary traffic restrictions being put in place which don't just keep motorists out of certain lanes but also there will be some right hand turns restricted for the duration. I think the penalty for any transgression is £200, be warned.

E

·
0 Posts
Regret the best is yet to come with the Olympics as many roads are being declared Olympic Highways. There will be many temporary traffic restrictions being put in place which don't just keep motorists out of certain lanes but also there will be some right hand turns restricted for the duration. I think the penalty for any transgression is £200, be warned.
Not forgetting Southeastern trains answer to ensuring a timely service over the period the games are on....run less trains :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Since when did we allow all these people to levy fines? :confused:

Used to be the case that the only people who could issue motoring offence penalties were the Plod.

Nowadays you can get motoring offence penalties from the police, the local council and now bliddy Tfl !! Who next - The Girl Guides?

Seems like any quango or government agency that wants to generate some revenue simply applies for the authority to levy motoring penalties - and of course since it's aimed simply at fleecing the vile and contemptible motorist it is given the green light (see what I did there?)

When I got done for stopping in a box junction on Putney High Street a few years back that ticket was issued by the council not Tfl. Maybe they switch penalty rights depending on who is struggling most with their revenue budget at that point :mad:

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Wandsworth Council are brilliant, they would give you a ticket for everything if they could. They don't back down over appeals if they can possibly avoid it. In return for this, we pay the cheapest council tax in the country.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts