Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all !

I own a basic Alfa 147 1.6 Twin Spark 105, Progression version, 3 doors : it does not have much things in it, since it only have mono-zone manual air conditioner, no computer screen in the meter box, no remote locking...
Recently, I've got a JTD Selective version, 5 doors, that was meant to be thrown away, and it has all the things I mentioned above. I'd like to take advantage of that opportunity to get components from the JTD to the TS, before getting rid of the JTD.

I've already dispose the whole dashboard on both and got the automatic bi-zone air conditioner. I've also taken the leather steering wheel with head unit controls.

I would like to get the remote locking and the alarm, but I don't know what they look like and if it is possible to do so. Does anyone has an idea about that ?

Plus, do you have any suggestion of what I can also take from the JTD for the TS ? Is it complicated to get the computer screen (I assume it needs to reprogram the body computer, though...) ?

Thank you very much ! ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello all !

I own a basic Alfa 147 1.6 Twin Spark 105, Progression version, 3 doors : it does not have much things in it, since it only have mono-zone manual air conditioner, no computer screen in the meter box, no remote locking...
Recently, I've got a JTD Selective version, 5 doors, that was meant to be thrown away, and it has all the things I mentioned above. I'd like to take advantage of that opportunity to get components from the JTD to the TS, before getting rid of the JTD.

I've already dispose the whole dashboard on both and got the automatic bi-zone air conditioner. I've also taken the leather steering wheel with head unit controls.

I would like to get the remote locking and the alarm, but I don't know what they look like and if it is possible to do so. Does anyone has an idea about that ?

Plus, do you have any suggestion of what I can also take from the JTD for the TS ? Is it complicated to get the computer screen (I assume it needs to reprogram the body computer, though...) ?

Thank you very much ! ;)
Please do elaborate on how you did the automatic dual zone AC, as I have a parts car with all of the parts, and a good one that like your did, has the single zone AC, I just don't know what needs to be changed to fit it and if it's worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please do elaborate on how you did the automatic dual zone AC, as I have a parts car with all of the parts, and a good one that like your did, has the single zone AC, I just don't know what needs to be changed to fit it and if it's worth it.
Sure. I'll try to explain when I finish.

The most important thing you need is... patience. It's a little bit tricky but doable. You need to dispose the whole dashboard to access the part of the AC you need to change.
Fortunately, you don't have to change the whole AC, but only the parts that differ from a dual zone to a single zone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sure. I'll try to explain when I finish.

The most important thing you need is... patience. It's a little bit tricky but doable. You need to dispose the whole dashboard to access the part of the AC you need to change.
Fortunately, you don't have to change the whole AC, but only the parts that differ from a dual zone to a single zone.
Okay, so if I understand correctly, it's just part swapping? I'm ok with taking the dash out if that's going to be the most tedious part, I don't wanna get into rewiring stuff, or switching bcm's, i.e. stuff that could very quickly get expensive :D . I'm intrigued about the exact parts that you need to switch, when you finish of course.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sounds really exciting.

But, be aware that it’s illegal also for private persons to repair and change the AC without a proper authorization, when it comes to cars using the R134a coolant gasses, which was standard in the AC of most cars from 1990’es up until approx. January 1’st 2017. From this date it was prohibited to use inside the EU. These gasses are heavily polluting and the fines are severe.
You'd better get a workshop with aircon. authorizaion to make this replacement.

Personally, haven’t tried to replace or locate the remote or change the lock system. But I’d assume you would have to have the key cards with the specific pins for both vehicles in order to get this working. I would get a garage with a lot of Alfa experience to make this change, as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds really exciting.

But, be aware that it’s illegal also for private persons to repair and change the AC without a proper authorization, when it comes to cars using the R134a coolant gasses, which was standard in the AC of most cars from 1990’es up until approx. January 1’st 2017. From this date it was prohibited to use inside the EU. These gasses are heavily polluting and the fines are severe.
You'd better get a workshop with aircon. authorizaion to make this replacement.

Personally, haven’t tried to replace or locate the remote or change the lock system. But I’d assume you would have to have the key cards with the specific pins for both vehicles in order to get this working. I would get a garage with a lot of Alfa experience to make this change, as well.
I'm not sure, but it may be possible to do this without actually messing with the "gassy" part as the car does have AC, just not a smart one per say. Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Absolutely : you don't have to handle the gas part of the AC, so I guess it is ok.
Actually, to switch the single zone into a dual zone, you have to change one shutter : on the single zone, there is a double-shutter merge into one piece, and the dual zone has two shutters (one per zone).
The one-piece double shutter is driven by a single rotor, and the two shutters are driven by two rotors : you'll have to get those shutters and the extra rotor

In addition, you'll have to change a wire : the single zone wire is simplier that the dual zone wire, as it bring power to the extra rotor and also has temperature captors.

And, of course, you'll have to get an AC command.

Here are some picture.

Below, you can see the 147 with full dashbord disposed :

The shutters are in the central part, in the middle of the dash. You have to remove the top-part of the AC to access the shutters, like this :

And here is the result : on the picture below, I replaced the one-piece double shutter by the two dual zone shutters, and you can see that my left hand is moving the left one (this left shutter is to be moved by the extra rotor).

I just finished the AC reassembly, it's working fine (I couldn't check the heating, as I could not heat the engine yet, and I could not check precisely the air refreshing process, as I think I ran out gas...).
I'll sum up everything as soon as I have time to do so.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Absolutely : you don't have to handle the gas part of the AC, so I guess it is ok.
Actually, to switch the single zone into a dual zone, you have to change one shutter : on the single zone, there is a double-shutter merge into one piece, and the dual zone has two shutters (one per zone).
The one-piece double shutter is driven by a single rotor, and the two shutters are driven by two rotors : you'll have to get those shutters and the extra rotor

In addition, you'll have to change a wire : the single zone wire is simplier that the dual zone wire, as it bring power to the extra rotor and also has temperature captors.

And, of course, you'll have to get an AC command.

Here are some picture.

Below, you can see the 147 with full dashbord disposed :

The shutters are in the central part, in the middle of the dash. You have to remove the top-part of the AC to access the shutters, like this :

And here is the result : on the picture below, I replaced the one-piece double shutter by the two dual zone shutters, and you can see that my left hand is moving the left one (this left shutter is to be moved by the extra rotor).

I just finished the AC reassembly, it's working fine (I couldn't check the heating, as I could not heat the engine yet, and I could not check precisely the air refreshing process, as I think I ran out gas...).
I'll sum up everything as soon as I have time to do so.
I appreciate your reply, but unfortunately instead of pictures I see a couple of grey signs :/. Maybe you could upload them to imgur.com, or any other image hosting site? Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello all !

Thank you very much ! ;)
Seeing as I'm asking so many questions, thought I'd try answer some of yours.

Does the JTD have cruise control? that is quite a simple install. You just need to check if there's a white plug under you steering wheel on the TS (1 panel covering it, like 3 bolts I think, so it's definitely worth to check). I can drop a link to a more extensive guide, if it does indeed have cruise control.

I also switched the interior dome lights (they were tinted on the Lusso spec one), looks better in my opinion.

I would also recommend checking out any plastic bits that could be in better shape, as surprisingly the older and much more beat up car had much better condition plastic bits in some places. (in my case: the window switch covers, the bit that's behind the door handle and holds the tweeter speaker, and some other switches.)

By the way, might be dumb question, but could it be possible that you simply don't have the key that has the buttons for remote locking? Once again correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they came without central locking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate your reply, but unfortunately instead of pictures I see a couple of grey signs :/. Maybe you could upload them to imgur.com, or any other image hosting site? Thanks!
Sorry, I forgot to settle the correct rights to make those pictures public. They are now.

Thank you for your suggestions ! So, the JTD has cruise control. I've already moved the command into the TS and I connected it. I was not pretty sure cruise control could be taken, but I got the command anyway. :)
Nevertheless I can't see the white plug you are taking about. I'll check that once again later.

I've already checked the plastic pieces, but the JTD has not been used gently, and nothing is really in good shape. I was planning on getting the glob compartment knob to replace mine, but it's also broken.

And you are right : I don't have remote locking buttons on my (only) key. The lock is centralised, but not remote. I was hoping that, regarding that, it was be easy to get the remote part of the JTD. But I couldn't find anything in the JTD that looks like a remote receiver that I could dispose.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to settle the correct rights to make those pictures public. They are now.

Thank you for your suggestions ! So, the JTD has cruise control. I've already moved the command into the TS and I connected it. I was not pretty sure cruise control could be taken, but I got the command anyway. :)
Nevertheless I can't see the white plug you are taking about. I'll check that once again later.

I've already checked the plastic pieces, but the JTD has not been used gently, and nothing is really in good shape. I was planning on getting the glob compartment knob to replace mine, but it's also broken.

And you are right : I don't have remote locking buttons on my (only) key. The lock is centralised, but not remote. I was hoping that, regarding that, it was be easy to get the remote part of the JTD. But I couldn't find anything in the JTD that looks like a remote receiver that I could dispose.
Now I can see 1 out of the 3 pictures :D.

The plug should be tucked up to the left of your ignition lock, by the steering rack, after you remove the cowling underneath the the indicator stalks, it's just a white rectangular plug with like 8-10 pins on it (can't remember for sure right now) and it's less than 1x3cm in size. This may help you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weird... The pictures URLs were the old ones.... Something went wrong when I updated my message. It should be ok now.

Thanks for the link. I'm cheching that right now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Weird... The pictures URLs were the old ones.... Something went wrong when I updated my message. It should be ok now.

Thanks for the link. I'm cheching that right now.
Quick question, did you follow some guide for the single to dual zone AC conversion, or are you just very knowledgeable on this stuff? As I had dropped the idea of doing this entirely after reading some comments.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I followed a guide written by a French guy. :)
I also found an Italian guide that was less complete. And actually, I combined both, as the French guide has a method that is harder but may be quicker, and the Italien one is longer but easier.
I'll try to make a tutorial based on those guides.

By now, the dashboard has been reassembled, and I also mounted the leather steering wheel with head unit command. Everything works properly.

That looks like any 147 dashboard, but you have to believe me when I say that it's the result of my work. :)

One important point : when changing the AC type, the counter will blink. This is due to the fact that ACs are handled by Canbus. You have to do a Proxy Alignement.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I followed a guide written by a French guy. :)
I also found an Italian guide that was less complete. And actually, I combined both, as the French guide has a method that is harder but may be quicker, and the Italien one is longer but easier.
I'll try to make a tutorial based on those guides.

By now, the dashboard has been reassembled, and I also mounted the leather steering wheel with head unit command. Everything works properly.

That looks like any 147 dashboard, but you have to believe me when I say that it's the result of my work. :)

One important point : when changing the AC type, the counter will blink. This is due to the fact that ACs are handled by Canbus. You have to do a Proxy Alignement.
Believe me having a stock interior 147, I can see your work, and the huge amount of work ahead of me :D. I'm happy there are more people like me with a fully speced out 147 for parts and a good 147 with just the base features, wanting to convert the base one into a speced out 147, as I was bummed out that I couldn't transfer quite a lot of the parts. Will definitely be waiting for the tutorial.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you love reading French ? :)
Here is the first version of the tutorial, written in French for the moment, as I initially wrote it based on a French guide : Remplacement de la climatisation manuelle mono-zone par une climatisation automatique bi-zone

Il'l translate it in a few time. In the meantime, you can maybe use it with a translator.
I love it just as much as Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese, I don't know any of them :D Thanks! it's quite good just for the photos, I think it could be possible to follow it with google translate as you say, but an english one would be even better.

I have the parts car interior all the way dissembled apart from the dashboard, so I think I will tackle that the next time I work on it, as now I will be able to follow the guide as to where all the bolts holding it in are.

How is your dual zone working? All good on both sides?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, I haven't really tried it yet. The 147 is stuck in the garage, as I am currently working on repairing a huge dent on it.
But for the few I tested that far, it seems to work fine : the air blows correctly on both side, and each can be tuned independently. Setting two different temperatures make it blow stronger on one side than the other, but for the moment, I cannot tell whether it is hotter or not because I haven't tried turning the engine on. I'm optimistic, though. :)

By the way, I found a code card in the car, and it mentions an electonical and a mechanical code : does that mean that my 147 actually has a remote key ? I only have one non-remote key, because the seller couldn't give me the second one. That's why I assumed my car did not have remote locking, but maybe the lost key is actually a remote ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
does that mean that my 147 actually has a remote key ? I only have one non-remote key, because the seller couldn't give me the second one. That's why I assumed my car did not have remote locking, but maybe the lost key is actually a remote ?
That sounds about right. I have two keys for mine one's blank with no buttons, the other has the remote. You're lucky for finding the code card though, I've looked through all the papers that came with mine and didn't find one :/.

Afaik the remote key is coded to your car and cannot be recoded from another one, so I'm guessing a dealer might be your only option, and they are known to be quite expensive :(.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts